Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why?

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #21  
That is true. It's been a long while since I've done that. I'll have to hone my skills before I try to teach him any. Thanks for the tip.

I'll second the sharpening activity, at least after he's a bit familiar with the knife. There's some pretty important life lessons around something that seems simple - teaches how to assess performance of the blade, the enhanced utility that comes from a small bit of work, and the concept of proper maintenance on something very basic. Many adults would have glazed eyes reading what I just typed, but most could probably learn something, along-side your son.

It is good to see that you are carefully taking the time to teach him something that is probably not considered main-stream today.

Rgds, D.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #22  
Personally I would pick a knife with a locking blade. When young I managed to close a knife on my fingers and cut myself pretty good, part of learning I guess. Have only owned locking blade knives after that.

MarkV

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #23  
To teach the fundamentals look at https://archive.org/details/elementarysloydw00larsrich
Sloyd, or slojd was taught in elementary schools. There are a lot of great ideas and shows the different grips.
I would say go with something that locks. Or go with a fixed blade like the entry level moras
Sloyd Laminated Steel Knife (2) by Mora of Sweden-Traditional Woodworker is a good example.
Its easy to sharpen also. I normally cut some pieces of 1/8 in wood into 2''x6'' pieces and then use spray glue to put sandpaper on it to sharpen the blade. I then strop it. A good trick to make sure your sharpening the blade is to put sharpie on it and "erase" the sharpie line.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #24  
Not suggesting any particular knife but this thread bought me back memories of my first knife given to me by my parents when I first became a Cub Scout in elementary school. Never forgot my second knife I wheeled and dealed for on my own. A cheap but functioning black switchblade. After that my switchblade mysteriously disappeared from my underwear drawer. Always to this day thought my momma "confiscated" it out of love to keep me out of trouble.

Boone

Not my original cub scout knive just a copy off net.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 89
   / Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #25  
I had a Swiss army knife fold up on me when I was a kid cut two fingers really bad. I've used either fixed blades or locking blades ever since. How about a Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool with locking blades

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #26  
Boone Not my original cub scout knive just a copy off net.

That's my first one also. It only took me a few weeks to loose it and I spent the rest of the summer saving my allowance to buy another.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #27  
I'll admit something here:

I drove a 45hp tractor with a 10 ton trailer on crowded tourists roads to the fields at age 9. However when i first fired a gun, in Canada at my 15 years older Canadian cousin, a Remington hunting rifle, i felt uncomfortable and was scared about what i could do with that gun, and quickly handed it over back to him after firing two or three shots... You could say i felt unfit for the responsibility if it could do this much damage. However the 4.5mm pellet gun my father owns, (legally in Holland) i feel indifferent about it even when shooting at sticks in my friends hands, when aimed far enough off their hands... A 4.5mm pellet at close range, in worst case, can do just as many damage to someones hand than a solid bullet of a Remington, but its all about what you are brought up with.

While every idiot in the US can buy a gun, i am a bit astonished about your cautiousness about a pocket knife... Whenever visiting the US, being a European, it wouldnt be YOUR son, having a pocket knife, i would be worried about ;)
And when your worry is about your son harming himself: I remember what a friend of mine admitted about when he was 10 years old and his older brother was bullying him to the end: He got so enraged that he went sharpening a knife on the grinding stone. When his grandpa asked what he was doing and he answered that his brother should die, grandpa said: Before you take the knife to your brother, make sure it is REALLY sharp: just feel with your finger, make no mistakes ! Then granda left him alone, sharpening the knife. When he tried the sharpness of the knife he instantly cut himself in the finger, and the pain made him forget his anger and kicked him right back into reality... Just as grandpa knew would happen :)

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #28  
I'll admit something here:

I drove a 45hp tractor with a 10 ton trailer on crowded tourists roads to the fields at age 9. However when i first fired a gun, in Canada at my 15 years older Canadian cousin, a Remington hunting rifle, i felt uncomfortable and was scared about what i could do with that gun, and quickly handed it over back to him after firing two or three shots... You could say i felt unfit for the responsibility if it could do this much damage. However the 4.5mm pellet gun my father owns, (legally in Holland) i feel indifferent about it even when shooting at sticks in my friends hands, when aimed far enough off their hands... A 4.5mm pellet at close range, in worst case, can do just as many damage to someones hand than a solid bullet of a Remington, but its all about what you are brought up with.

While every idiot in the US can buy a gun, i am a bit astonished about your cautiousness about a pocket knife... Whenever visiting the US, being a European, it wouldnt be YOUR son, having a pocket knife, i would be worried about ;)
And when your worry is about your son harming himself: I remember what a friend of mine admitted about when he was 10 years old and his older brother was bullying him to the end: He got so enraged that he went sharpening a knife on the grinding stone. When his grandpa asked what he was doing and he answered that his brother should die, grandpa said: Before you take the knife to your brother, make sure it is REALLY sharp: just feel with your finger, make no mistakes ! Then granda left him alone, sharpening the knife. When he tried the sharpness of the knife he instantly cut himself in the finger, and the pain made him forget his anger and kicked him right back into reality... Just as grandpa knew would happen :)

What an interesting insight into European thinking about firearms and other things.. Also I assumed to mean that the first firearm you fired was not AT your older cousin, but you meant at the location where he lived in Canada, correct?:) Of course you realize that your lack of fear at the damage you could do with the 10 ton trailer and tractor on crowded roads and fear you felt when you safely (I presume) fired an actual firearm in Canada under supervision is irrational?. But obviously your parents felt you were able to safely handle the tractor, yet you yourself did not feel safe firing the rifle in the presence of an older person. There is probably an underlying cause, in that you were told, or somehow were culturally brought up to believe that firearms are just too dangerous for the average person to be able to use in a safe manner.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #29  
Y'all remember Barlow. That was my first knife.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #30  
My son's first pocket knife.

I have quite a few, and chose a new, smallish, Swiss army knife. One blade. One screwdriver/bottle opener/wire stripper. Pull out tweezer, and a pull out toothpick.

For now, I'll allow him to have it when I'm with him. Without supervision, it is in parental possession.

I'm interested in the thoughts and experience you have.

Thanks.

My grandfather was well known to be very good at sharpening knives with a 'whet rock'. In his later years if he wasn't home he was usually at the courthouse with his buddies whittling, spittin', carving, talking knives and stuff. He usually carried in his pocket a bone handled knife with Queen steel blades and a small whet rock encased in a leather cover. I looked forward going to the courthouse square with him when I was allowed. I still have that bone handled knife because my grandmother gave it to me after he died. She also gave me a larger, well worn whet rock that he sharpened knives on at home. Still have it too but I don't use it.

Kids develop attitudes about everything from the adults they are around when they are young. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to observe my grandfather with knives, guns, tools, and people.

Max, I am sure your son will feel lucky to have your training also!