Tractor starts big fire

/ Tractor starts big fire #1  

40Kchicks

Gold Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota M9000DTL 2001 JD 2252 Orchard Tractor Cat 216 Skidsteer 1999 JD 450H Dozer 1994 JD 644G wheel loader
I'm at work today but my daughter just called telling me that my neighbors place was on fire. My neighbor has 14 huge barns on his place. Two of them sit next to each other and are used for storing hay. They are 60’ X 320’ each. I don’t have the whole story yet but apparently the old tractor he was using to cut grass burst into flames. His son was driving the other tractor mowing between the barns at the time so he ran over and told his son to get out of there then ran into the warehouse and told the workers to call 911. The tractor caught the dry hay on fire before the fire department could get there. Both barns were totally involved when my wife called me. The fire department was just containing the fire and protecting a nearby warehouse. I guess that the fire department had to sit Mac down. The heat was so intense it melted some shutters on his chicken barns 80’ away and warmed up my chicken barn that’s 150’ away. I had my wife get photos so I will update this post tomorrow.

Eric

/ Tractor starts big fire
Here is a picture of the front of the barns. I'm home now and was just amazed by the huge glow I could see from 5 miles away. When this picture was taken the roof and other tin had fallen on the bales covering a lot of the flames but now it is open and really bright.
Eric

Attachments

• 329541-macs fire.jpg
    329541-macs fire.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 711
Re: Tractor starts big fire *DELETED*

Post deleted by 40Kchicks

/ Tractor starts big fire #4  
one more try..... you only have the top half of the picture.. also, you can click on "edit" in the original post and then click on "preview" and add your picture to the original post if the edit time hasn't expired.... usually about a couple of hours later.

Looking down from the back porch.

Attachments

• 329548-macs fire2.jpg
    329548-macs fire2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 551
   / Tractor starts big fire #6  
That certainly is a shame to loose two barns.... luckily no one was hurt and buildings can always be replaced. Lives can't. I am certain that all the neighbors will pitch in and help him through this disaster with food for the animals till he can get back on his feet.

The warped, now gone sheet metal. The building still is retaining the square shape of the bails inside.

Attachments

• 329550-macs fire 3.jpg
    329550-macs fire 3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 496
   / Tractor starts big fire #8  
40Chicks:

I hope you live upwind from the conflagration. Burning hay really stinks. Besides, it will burn for a long time, probably at least a week.

Once it starts, there is no way to put it out. Just try to keep it from spreading.

I talked to my neighbor last night and told him how happy I was to see him. He had set up his old ford with the mower and he and his son were going to knock down the weeds around the barns. It was a gas tractor and it must have had a leak in the fuel line because all of a sudden flames just came up from under the steering wheel. He jumped off and yelled to his son to get out of there because he had just filled the tractor up with fuel. He ran over to warehouse. One worker called 911 and the other grabbed a fire extinguisher but by the time they got back which was only a minute or so, flames were up in the rafters. It only took 15 minutes for every part of the barns to be on fire. Last night I could see one side of the tractor and the big burnt out rim under the burning hay.

The hay was being stored for export to Asia. It is insured and valued at about 50K. He was using the back of the barn as cow shelter and the side of the barn was part of the fence. I’ll probably help him put up a new line of fencing when the fire is out.

Eric

Daryl
So far the wind has been fine. Mac was telling me that the barn had some tar vapor barrier and Styrofoam insulation in it. When that went up it really filled the sky with thick black smoke.

Last night was like the living next to the school with the football game letting out. It seemed like everyone from the local town was cruising by. At times it was a solid line of cars.

Eric