Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O?

/ Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O? #22  
Re: Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of

When I was a kid (1950's) a relative's barn full of hay and straw bales caught fire from the exhaust of a Farmall M while grinding feed. He had the front end loader on and was pushing the flaming spillage toward the barn to protect other structures. The tractor stalled from lack of air/oxygen from the swirling smoke and burned up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The air filter intake on a M was behind the motor. in front of the gas tank. Many CUTs suck air from way up front. Something to think about /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O?

NY_Yankees_Fan,

Thanks for the URLs!

Later,
Dan

/ Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O?

Rch,

I think about the tractor stalling in/near the fire all the time! 8-(

I MIGHT be able to pull it out with the truck but the problem is
that heavy FEL and box blade that will almost certainly fall to the ground and turn into anchors..... 8-(

Luckily I don't have alot of smoke. And what I do have usually
rises straight up since it SHOULD not be windy. :cool: When I
do push the FEL into the fire it is not far and I stay with the
wind to my back or side. Course the wind does change....

Later,
Dan

/ Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O? #25  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How many gallons of water would it take to put out a burn pile that was smouldering?)</font>

According to my wife, who used to fight forest fires with the U.S. Forest Service, you can't rely on any fixed amount of water. To be sure that the fire is out, you should wait until you think it's cooled, and then trail your hand around in all the dirt to feel for warm spots. (If you want to look this up on the net it's called "cold trailing".) When there is no heat anywhere, then the fire is out. If you don't do this, then there is a chance that you might have lit a fire under where you thought the fire was.

/ Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O? #26  

My preferred 'season' to burn is winter w/ a heavy snow cover around and on the pile. While it does make getting the fire going a bit more difficult its far better than the alternative. The fire stays a managble size and intensity. I burned ONCE out of season and it wasnt fun. In fact it was really scary. The other benefit of burning w/ a snow cover is that I dont need a permit.

/ Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O? #27  

You know what starts a purn pile great in snow? Some pinecones or fat lighteretc.. and a road flare... I've used road flares to re-start wet piles... gives you about 15 minutes of good hot burn.. dires the material, and keeps hte flame fed for a bit till it takes off on its own..... as a side benefit.. if you walk away from the pile... in the dark... you can find your way back! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Soundguy

/ Putting out a burn pile. How many gallons of H2O? #28  

LOL! Never thought about using a flare. The volunteer FD here would probably take a DIM view of that. Once in a while theyll visit winter burns just to make sure youre complying w/ the various laws and regs. Theyre very particular, a no humor bunch. Last yr I burned some old surplus smokeless powder I wasnt going to use. WOW! That stuff burns REALLY hot...wished I had more! That got my fire going pretty good. :^)