Briefly running engine in garage

/ Briefly running engine in garage #11  
I'm going to respectfully agree and disagree on this topic. There is no question that CO is dangerous and even deadly in high enough concentrations, however, pushing tractors and mowers in or out of garages is a bit extreme in my opinion. There are a number of verified, established guidelines for what levels of CO are dangerous and what levels are not. Also, modern CO detectors are very accurate and quick to respond to the presence of CO in the home. I would recommend that every home be equipped with at least two detectors, one near the sleeping area(s) and one near the utility area(s) where CO is generated. Many building codes require this in new or significantly renovated homes. There is no truth to the rumors of false alarms from ordinary household products. If your detector goes off, it means there is very likely CO present and the correct course of action is to evacuate the building and call the Fire Department. To address the original question about running small engines in an enclosed area, I would recommend strongly against it. Don't forget when calculating air exchange rates using forced ventilation, in order to get 10,000cfm of air out, 10,000cfm needs to come in, very difficult with the doors closed. I guess my point is, as with most things, awareness and respect for the hazards of CO, proper safeguards and some "common" sense will keep you safe.

Matt.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #12  
There are health studies that snow small engine shop employees to have the highest civilian levels of CO in their tissues and blood stream.
You can die of CO poisoning even if you are dragged out and given 100% oxygen. Blood hemoglobin has an affinity of 250times greater for CO than O2.
0.1 percent CO in air will drop a person dead in moments.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #13  
I'm going to respectfully agree and disagree on this topic. There is no question that CO is dangerous and even deadly in high enough concentrations, however, pushing tractors and mowers in or out of garages is a bit extreme in my opinion. There are a number of verified, established guidelines for what levels of CO are dangerous and what levels are not. Also, modern CO detectors are very accurate and quick to respond to the presence of CO in the home. I would recommend that every home be equipped with at least two detectors, one near the sleeping area(s) and one near the utility area(s) where CO is generated. Many building codes require this in new or significantly renovated homes. There is no truth to the rumors of false alarms from ordinary household products. If your detector goes off, it means there is very likely CO present and the correct course of action is to evacuate the building and call the Fire Department. To address the original question about running small engines in an enclosed area, I would recommend strongly against it. Don't forget when calculating air exchange rates using forced ventilation, in order to get 10,000cfm of air out, 10,000cfm needs to come in, very difficult with the doors closed. I guess my point is, as with most things, awareness and respect for the hazards of CO, proper safeguards and some "common" sense will keep you safe.

Matt.

I can agree with most of what you stated except the part about 'rumors' of false alarms from ordinary household products. I have around 18 CO detectors throughout my house, barn and shed. I've had the alarms start and immediately stop; I've had persistent alarms at certain units and not others, and when swapped out with new units of the same brand, BRK, combo smoke/CO the problem resolves. These products have a shelf life and use life, even with changing batteries regularly, usually 5 years. The more sensitive standalone CO detectors have a much greater ability to sense minute amounts of CO for earlier detection in critical areas. With normal wired detectors/monitors the level has to be low enough to warn appropriately, but not so low that it's alarming below the threshold it's set to alarm at.

There are health studies that show small engine shop employees to have the highest civilian levels of CO in their tissues and blood stream.
You can die of CO poisoning even if you are dragged out and given 100% oxygen. Blood hemoglobin has an affinity of 250times greater for CO than O2.
0.1 percent CO in air will drop a person dead in moments.

Would have to agree with the dangers, and often IMO, foolishness/ignorance of those who work around persistently high levels of CO in the workplace.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #14  
Along with the heavy winter weather in Can/USA, there has been a rise in CO deaths.

Obviously, the best move is to minimize and preferably eliminate all CO exposure. Low level exposure for extended periods is deceptively dangerous.

I'm only aware of two environments where the general public is deliberately exposed to IC engines running in enclosed spaces - underground parking garages, and indoor stadiums with Monster truck (etc) shows.

Both obviously require forced-air exchange - there has to be Code compliant systems in place, at least at the time of construction. I mention this, in terms of accessing specs on Minimum acceptable air-exchange levels - I'm not endorsing running IC engines indoors.

UG parking garages - the assumption there is that people are not in that area for long, so exposure Duration is short.

Despite being a life-long gear head, I have no real interest in attending a major indoor event like a Monster Truck show. While a stadium's air-handling systems may have at one time been adequate, for the risks involved I'll watch motorhead events outdoors.

Rgds, D.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #15  
I agree that internal combustion engines should not be ran in an enclosed space, but I am not going to push my car, truck, tractor or mower outside to start it or one reason that I cant physically do it and #2 aint going to try as there is simply no need.
The garage door will be opened, the vehicle cranked, immediately put in gear and backed out under idle conditions. There is one thing to be safe but another to be stupid about it. Everything coming out the exhaust is not CO. Most of it is CO2 and water vapor with a minute amount of CO that could be deadly if concentrations are allowed. 30 seconds to a minute of automobile exhaust in an open door is not likely to cause anyone, even the extremely sensitive to have any problems expecially since the exhaust is right by the open door.

Otherwise those with extreme fear of CO should park their cars in the open weather, wear self contained breathing apparatus at all times even when travelling just in case the exhaust system develops a leak during transit, oh and check the SCBA tank to make sure it was filled with superior clean air each time you get a refill.

Don't you just hate it when folks go to extremes in either direction when attempting to do work or play safely?

/ Briefly running engine in garage #16  
I agree that internal combustion engines should not be ran in an enclosed space, but I am not going to push my car, truck, tractor or mower outside to start it or one reason that I cant physically do it and #2 aint going to try as there is simply no need.
The garage door will be opened, the vehicle cranked, immediately put in gear and backed out under idle conditions. There is one thing to be safe but another to be stupid about it. Everything coming out the exhaust is not CO. Most of it is CO2 and water vapor with a minute amount of CO that could be deadly if concentrations are allowed. 30 seconds to a minute of automobile exhaust in an open door is not likely to cause anyone, even the extremely sensitive to have any problems expecially since the exhaust is right by the open door.

Otherwise those with extreme fear of CO should park their cars in the open weather, wear self contained breathing apparatus at all times even when travelling just in case the exhaust system develops a leak during transit, oh and check the SCBA tank to make sure it was filled with superior clean air each time you get a refill.

Don't you just hate it when folks go to extremes in either direction when attempting to do work or play safely?

A modern properly operating highway vehicle is one thing. Puttering away in the shop on an old malfunctioning engine during a cold winter day with the doors or windows barley open is another.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #17  
   / Briefly running engine in garage #18  
I agree that internal combustion engines should not be ran in an enclosed space, but I am not going to push my car, truck, tractor or mower outside to start it or one reason that I cant physically do it and #2 aint going to try as there is simply no need. No one said you should push it outside to start it.
The garage door will be opened, the vehicle cranked, immediately put in gear and backed out under idle conditions. There is one thing to be safe but another to be stupid about it. Everything coming out the exhaust is not CO. Most of it is CO2 and water vapor with a minute amount of CO that could be deadly if concentrations are allowed. 30 seconds to a minute of automobile exhaust in an open door is not likely to cause anyone, even the extremely sensitive to have any problems expecially since the exhaust is right by the open door. Where are you getting these un-likely statistics?! It is known that CO accumulates in the bloodstream, so that statement is just not true.

Who are you talking to an imaginary friend?!:confused2:

No one here is saying not to turn on an engine in a garage to back out whatever vehicle may be in it. What was stated in direct response to the OP's question was to run the mower into the garage and immediately turn it off and roll it the rest of the way through the maze of his stuff.
And your analogy is ridiculous; typical useless nonsense about breathing apparatus and other extreme measures no one but you is referring to. You're not helping to make people aware of the dangers of CO.
Within the last year here in VT at least one teenager died in his car, outside, as a result of a leaky exhaust system that had recently been installed. Had people been aware his headaches prior to his death were a result of CO poisoning, (recent exhaust system work,) he could have lived. He died as a result of ignorance about CO, unfortunately.
This is not a topic that is any way funny, people die, needlessly, due to ignorance about CO. No one should have to die because of it, if everyone were made aware how to prevent it and not succumb to it.

BTW, it's run, not ran.

/ Briefly running engine in garage #19  
There is caution and there is overkill. Seems to me the argument is where that line is. And I am not going to argue for either side. We use a flexible hose on the exhaust to vent it outside and high airflow inside. Beyond that I have no control unless I want to go look for a new job at 60 years old. Too late for this old goat.

/ Briefly running engine in garage
I appreciate the replies so far. Primarily I was prompted to discuss this topic after being shocked by these research results from the cdc displaying just how quickly co builds up in an area even with "adequate" ventilation such as open garage doors.

CDC - NIOSH Publications and Products - Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from Small Gasoline-Powered Engines and Tools (96-118)
5hp engine operating in a roughly 12' x 24' building with 8' walls. NOTE: doors were open, cooling fan and ventilation running.
co01.gif

Sure, its common sense to not idle an engine inside a closed garage but that report is talking about having the doors open! To me the results seem extreme given how common garages are and the millions of people who use them everyday. I guess it goes to show how co is not something to mess around with and indeed blurs the line between common sense and an easily avoidable tragic accident.

I totally agree there is caution and overkill. Obviously people aren't going to start pushing their vehicles in and out of their garages. I was curious to learn what precautionary practical measures professional mechanics take when working on a vehicle. My buddy is an ASE Cert mechanic and next time I talk to him I'm going to ask about the precautions they are trained to take. When they have a vehicle up on a car lift and have to listen to the engine, I can guarantee they don't lower it down and drive it outside to let it idle.

Like I said before I'm just surprised how easily exposed people can be to high levels of co without even realizing it. It would be possible to infer from the CDC research that "common sense" is not enough when it comes to staying safe in these situations.

Contradicting info on the CDC if someone would explain further...

CDC - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Frequently Asked Questions
How can I avoid CO poisoning from my vehicle?

- Have a mechanic check the exhaust system of my car every year. A small leak in your car's exhaust system can lead to a build up of CO inside the car.

-Never run a car or truck in the garage with the garage door shut. CO can build up quickly while your car or truck is running in a closed garage. Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house and always open the door to any garage to let in fresh air when running a car or truck inside the garage. This information is contradictive of their test results and general advice. I thought you are to never operate/idle an engine inside a building even with the doors open???

- If you drive a vehicle with a tailgate, when you open the tailgate, you also need to open vents or windows to make sure air is moving through your car. If only the tailgate is open CO from the exhaust will be pulled into the car. Just wanted to note I would bet this tip is not common sense to most people. This is a good point that I had often thought about when driving my K5 blazer with its rear glass rolled down.

Last edited: