Farmer killed on road

/ Farmer killed on road #2  
FYI, you have to be a registered user of the FrederickNewsPost to read that story you linked too.

/ Farmer killed on road #3  
How can they not file charges against this woman?? It's the same thing where I live. People drive 20 and 30 mph over the speed limit. Run stop signs and pay no attention to farmers on the road.

/ Farmer killed on road
Sorry about that.. here's some info. I guess urban sprawl is just as dangerous to farmers as it is farmland. This is 10 minutes down the road from me.

A farmer trying to stop traffic so he could move a group of horses from Glade Valley Farms across Md. 26 was killed Tuesday when he was hit by a driver who told police she did not see him.

Harry Zufall, 47, of 9249 Liberty Road, was hit by Margaret Ann Magnanelli, 49, of Frederick, at about 10:50 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

Mr. Zufall apparently was holding a red and white stop sign as he was moving his horses across the two-lane highway.

Mr. Zufall's wife arrived about an hour after the wreck and collapsed when she learned of her husband's death.

Mrs. Zufall was treated by ambulance personnel from Walkersville Volunteer Rescue Co.

/ Farmer killed on road #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wonder if she was on her cell phone when it happened.. )</font>

Around here they get in the left lane, pick up their cell phones, then immediately slow down to a crawl. This guy would have had a fighting chance around here :-^

Paul

/ Farmer killed on road #6  
Drivers around here don't slow down to the speed of the tractor before they pass, sooner or later the tractor is going to turn left and the farmer will probably get killed. If she didn't see the guy with a red and white stop sign in his hand, she may have been stoned. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Farmer killed on road #7  
My GOD!.....How could you MISS THAT!!!

I've been dreading having to dig the hole to install the mailbox for our new house. Its' on the crest of a hill and you always have a few peeps that have to do 50+mph on the gravel.

Edit....
I guess I should have replied to Kensfarm since I was refering to the stop sign the poor guy was holding.

/ Farmer killed on road #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've been dreading having to dig the hole to install the mailbox for our new house. Its' on the crest of a hill and you always have a few peeps that have to do 50+mph on the gravel. )</font>

At our old house, the mail was only delivered to the post office. While we were building our new house this past winter, I set the post for the mailbox one day. Before I had a chance to put the mailbox on the post, it got wiped out! It seems nearly everyone on our road has had their mailboxes taken out by wild speeders and snow plow drivers. Plus, you take your life into your hands to get the mail. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Needless to say, when we moved in, we transfered our mail from the PO box in our old town to the PO box in our new town. Much safer that way, and you don't have to replace any mailboxes either! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Farmer killed on road #9  
a friend of mine was telling me a story about when he went to college in Miami FL back in the early 1960's. It seems that the kids would always run over the mail box of this elderly man that live on the street. One day, my friend saw him digging a hole in the front yard and went over to ask him if he needed any help. He said no and continued to dig. Sometime during the day, he planted a 6" pipe 5 feet into the ground and cemented it in. He also filled the pipe with concrete. Then he made a wooden box around the pipe and mounted his new mail box on top. Everything was fine until the weekend when they heard a loud crash in the middle of the night. It was the kids that kept running his mail box over that crashed into the new post and it didn't move...... Needless to say, that was the last time that he had a problem with the kids and the mailbox.....

/ Farmer killed on road #10  
<font color="blue"> he planted a 6" pipe 5 feet into the ground and cemented it in. He also filled the pipe with concrete. </font>

There was some discussion on this subject on TBN earlier this year. Do that around here and you'll get a big fat lawsuit, not the kids. There are numerous lawsuits going on about the big brick mailboxes in fancy neighborhoods, too. They are too solid to be put near the roadway. So if an innocent person somehow loses control of their vehicle or swerves to avoid an accident, and you had placed an imovable object close to the road, it's your fault. We are eventually moving to a piece of property that is located on a very busy road. All of the mailboxes are very inexpensive, easily replaceable and cheap. We'll probably do the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif