Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions?

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #11  
Re: Does anybody follow \"safe operation\" suggestions?

I don't think I could jockey some of my heavier implements into position to hook up all three points, without having the ability to lift the hitch a schosh. So I can't say I stop the engine before dismounting. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #12  
Re: Does anybody follow \"safe operation\" suggestio

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Who has taken the key out of the tractor everytime they park it?
)</font>

Now that one.. I do.. I pull the key out of all of them ( fords ).. except my riding lawnmower.. which stays in the garage anyway.. And my IH cud doesn't have a key.. nor does the JD 'B'

Soundguy

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #13  

I always lower all implements and take the key out. I have small kids and don't want them turned into pancakes.

When I park the tractor, I engage the PTOs. It makes it a whole lot less likely that one of the kids will be able to start the tractor. I'm not to worried about them trying, yet. I'm sure as they get a little older they will take it for a joy ride.

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #14  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
When I park the tractor, I engage the PTOs. It makes it a whole lot less likely that one of the kids will be able to start the tractor. )</font>

That's a good idea. Especially with the top secret PTO lever location on the L series!

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #15  

I don't have any kids (little). Besides, you can't start a Kubota without depressing the clutch and a little tyke would never be able to push the clutch and turn the key at the same time.

The clutch has a much heavier pedal on it than my Western Star does.

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #16  

My TC18 has so many interlocks it won't start unless it is in neutral, with either the parking brake set or someone in the seat, with the PTO disengaged. Since I sometimes start it for the first time in a day as I walk past it, I have to have all the above set. It's easiest just to put it in neutral, set it to idle, set the brake, diengage the PTO (although it's never engaged by the time I park it), lower the bucket, lower the 3 point. By that time, it's had a few seconds of cooldown at idle speed. Then I turn it off, remove the key, cycle the loader joystick to relieve it, and fold up the seat.

Next day, I can stick in the key, warm the glow plug and start it without worry, giving it a little warm up time before I climb on. If I want to leave it running so I can adjust the 3 point when hooling something up, I have to disengage the PTO, put it in neutral and set the brake first, or the moment I lift my butt off the seat it quits.

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #17  

I ordered an extra manual at the same time I ordered the TC35 and the manual came first, so I had plenty of time to read it...just no tractor to sit on and connect to the pictures and warnings. Frankly, a few months of reading posts here was the best safety instruction.

But I confess to leaving the tractor in idle, bucket down, parking break on, wheel turned into the slope, when I am hooking up a chain to a log, or rolling a log into the bucket, but it is with wide berth given to tires and possible direction of roll. The NH parking brake isn't much to inspire confidence. Otherwise I'm with those who belt up when on and take key out when off, and leave hydraulics down - I've gotten too attached to the kids and the dogs to not take the time.

Chas

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #18  
Re: Does anybody follow \"safe operation\" suggestions?

I have been known to fudge a bit at times, but one thing I absolutely refuse to do is get near the PTO with the engine running.......................chim

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #19  

Safe operating Procedures:

Who develops them and on what basis??

Back when I worked for a General Contractor on large jobs running two shifts the equipment was only shut off for servicing.

At the end of the shift everything was lined up for the service crew and left running. Service crew/mechanics would shut down and start the machines.

In fact some very excellent operators only had a vague idea of how to start the machine they operated.

But that was many a year ago.

Egon

/ Does anybody follow "safe operation" suggestions? #20  

I'm not sure I've seen a brake.. parking or otherwise that will hold up against the tractor final drive... I've driven every one of my tractors out of the barn with the parking brake on.. ( not intentionally ) at idle.. without noticing till I stepped on the brake and found no pedal travel.. go figure...

The only exception to that I ever say was an import front end loader ( heavy equipment ).. if you had the parking brake on.. it interlockled the tranny.. so you didn't 'fight' the brake..
To bad the rest of the machine was a P.O.S. .. I called it lilly..

Soundguy