Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop?

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #1  

bandaidmd

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota b2620,b8200
I have one in my home, truck and boat but somehow the shop was overlooked...18 years of overlooked !!

That was corrected yesterday so who else had this lapse of foresight ,I can't be the only one?

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #3  
I used to keep one in the shop, but never carried one on the tractor or in either vehicle, although I do think it's a good idea. And for several years now, I've had one right outside the kitchen door in the garage and this post was certainly a timely reminder, since I just discovered the one I've got is too old, the indicator needle is no longer in the green, and I just now tried it and . . . NOTHING! I'm on my way to buy a new one.:eek:

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #4  
I have one near each of the wood stoves. None in either the shops, tractor or heep. I do have two in the boat.

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #5  
I know there is one in there some where :duh:

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #6  
I did have one in the boats that I owned, but no boat anymore. But I do now have a new one right outside the kitchen door in the garage.

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #7  
i have them in shop, house and barn

all current filled and tested.

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #8  
i have them in shop, house and barn

all current filled and tested.

Same here ! Also keep one in the master bedroom by nightstand cause my girlfriend is "Puerto Rican" ! :D

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #9  
Last month i found that mine wasnt working when i had a chimney fire... I filled a bottle of water to cool the flex pipe and then poured some in the stove to temper it... Just an incident, but next time i put less wood in the stove...

/ Fess up, who doesn't have a Fire Extinguisher in there shop? #10  
I have a friend who owns a fire extinguisher business, and we sometimes spend some of our free time testing expired, but still perfectly serviceable fire extinguishers.

Here are some of the things I have found:

It's only too big, if you can't run with it. Those little 2 pounders are not going to get you too far, if you are not right at the point of use, when the fire starts.

A 10 pound unit is as small as I would go, unless you physically can't fit anything that big there. I like having 20 pound units in my shop, and house.

Get in as close as you can before pulling the trigger. Most common household extinguishers do not have much discharge time. Anything you shoot in the air while approaching the scene, isn't going to scare the fire that much.

The most overlooked piece of advice on using a fire extinguisher, is to take a deep breath of as fresh air as possible, and hold it, before discharging your fire extinguisher.

If you just ran to a fire, or are just breathing hard from all the excitement, and in the rush to put the fire out, you neglect to take that deep breath, you will end up inhaling a bunch of powder, from the cloud you are standing in. All you will be able to do then, is cough, and gasp for air rendering you mostly unable to fight the fire.