Chain saw safety

/ Chain saw safety #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I have spent the past two days hauling back and cutting up about 25 cubic yards of tree debris from the ice storm of December, using a lightweight 2.8 cubic inch 16" bar saw for the cutting. After using chain saws for over 30 years, I am still scared of the tools so I use the utmost care at all times. My GF is really worried about the potential for an accident but I reassure her that the vast majority of chain saw accidents happen to three types of users:

1. The novices who have no experience.

2. The experienced users who have let familiarity with the saws make them careless.

3. Those who are simply incompetent.

I don't fit any of these profiles so I am not too concerned about an accident....should I be?

/ Chain saw safety #2  
A reasonable amount of concern will keep you in the right spot between 1 and 2. Last year I bought chainsaw chaps after thinking about the cost benefit ratio.

/ Chain saw safety #3  
Yes, safety starts with safety gear. Get the right protection because accidents do happen. +1 on the chaps.

/ Chain saw safety #5  
I think this statement of yours is key: "After using chain saws for over 30 years, I am still scared of the tools so I use the utmost care at all times." Fear is nature's way of telling you to pay attention and be careful. The novice often doesn't know enough to avoid the hazards, whereas some long-time users get complacent with what they've gotten away with before. Of course, sometimes bad things happen despite experience, care and preparation...proper protective gear can often eliminate or at least mitigate the consequences when something does go awry.

/ Chain saw safety #6  
Having respect/fear of the chainsaw is a good start. My only input is that you stated you are cutting tree debris from an ice storm. If it is all piled up it changes the equation on cutting. There are a lot of tensions in a wood pile that aren't readily apparent. All **** can break loose was you release that tension. If you go slow and watch what is happening you can minimize the risk.

Doug in SW IA

/ Chain saw safety
Having respect/fear of the chainsaw is a good start. My only input is that you stated you are cutting tree debris from an ice storm. If it is all piled up it changes the equation on cutting. There are a lot of tensions in a wood pile that aren't readily apparent. All **** can break loose was you release that tension. If you go slow and watch what is happening you can minimize the risk.

You make an excellent point, and I am not cutting anything that is under tension....I have dragged all the big stuff about 800 feet back to my burn pile area, and realize the dangers of cutting tree limbs that are piled up, so am separating the large stuff and cutting it one at a time. Thanks for the heads up because that is good advice for all of us. :thumbsup:

/ Chain saw safety #8  
+2 on the chaps, although I admit to not donning them if I am just planning to do one or two cuts. I should ALWAYS use them. I've become a big fan of a forestry hardhat too, mostly because of the flip-down eye screen.

Also totally agree that a healthy fear/respect for the potential danger is your best ally.

- Jay

/ Chain saw safety #9  
After using chain saws for over 30 years, I am still scared of the tools so I use the utmost care at all times. ?
Good outlook. Mother Nature is always more creative in coming up with new ways to kill or maim you than your creativity in anticipating it.

Case in point: Once, cutting a stand of 12" dia, 60'+ tall red pines, I'd drop a few next to each other before skidding them out. Doing things safe, but what I didn't realize (at the time!) was that if you drop one tree down over another, the log on the ground can act as a fulcrum for the falling tree and spring/see-saw the butt of the tree you just cut about 8' in the air above your head, and kick it to one side or another. (9 out 10 times it probably won't, but it's that 1 time!).
Luckily, I'd lazily stepped back far enough from the stump that it was only a close call (inch is a good as a mile!) Nothing like seeing a 60' log flying through the air next to you! Not lazy any more, even if it seems routine.

/ Chain saw safety #10  
A healthy respect for the dangers present with any saw; careful assessment of the work area, weather conditions, level of fatigue of operator. Always have a cell phone or walkie talkie within reach, someone who is aware you're operating the saw and where. A vehicle, tractor/atv for rapid escape, if needed, and full gear: boots, chaps, helmet/face shield, hearing protection, chainsaw gloves with Kevlar.
And a well maintained saw and a spare to cut away a stuck saw.
A chainsaw is like the ocean, as soon as one thinks they have it mastered is as soon as it will prove otherwise.
Supplement existing knowledge with available resources like owner's manuals, logging/tree web sites, videos on Youtube, etc.
Know when to hire a pro to do work that is too high in risk factors.
Never rush and take frequent breaks to rest/re-access the situation.