Need safety advice

/ Need safety advice #1  

Wyatt Daniel

Tractor
Toyoto
How to avoid Forklift disasters? Need precautionary measures?

/ Need safety advice #2  
Basis, IIRC from 30+ years ago:
Know your trucks' limits / know your loads' weight
Keep load low while moving to greatest extent possible
Loads should be secure so they can't shift on the forks or within their packaging
Loading docks should have barriers when not in use
Loading onto / off of trailers - trailer is secured, ramp / bridge is in place & can't shift, coming off trailer make sure trailer has not pulled away from dock
Keep track of mast if moving with load elevated
SLOW DOWN!

I'm certain there are more but those will probably avoid 90% of the pitfalls

/ Need safety advice #3  
Watch your mast height when entering buildings and around trees.
Try to do all lifting on level, flat, hard surfaces.
Don't drive out of a box car.
No horsin' around!

/ Need safety advice #4  
How to avoid Forklift disasters? Need precautionary measures?

Google "OSHA 1910.178"

That will give you lots of information, also has an appendix with further information.

/ Need safety advice #5  
Every forklift operator should undergo some form of training before ever getting behind the controls of a machine. OSHA requires that employers ensure that their employees have this training. There is a website for Heavy Equipment Online Training | Courses and Classes which will provide all the necessary safety and operational training you will need for forklift operation, without ever having to step inside a classroom. If you want to avoid hazardous accidents as much as possible, such training is a must!

/ Need safety advice #6  
Every forklift operator should undergo some form of training before ever getting behind the controls of a machine. OSHA requires that employers ensure that their employees have this training. There is a website for Heavy Equipment Online Training | Courses and Classes which will provide all the necessary safety and operational training you will need for forklift operation, without ever having to step inside a classroom. If you want to avoid hazardous accidents as much as possible, such training is a must!

In my experience "trained" operators are some of the worst. You need experience, not a class. To get experience you simply "have at it". If it feels a bit tippy, then it is. If you go slow and careful, it's very simple. It's a forklift, not a space shuttle. Same goes for pretty much all heavy equipment. Of all the equipment operators I know/worked with (100s) not a single good operator learned his trade in one oof the "operators schools" you see advertised.

/ Need safety advice #7  
It's a forklift, not a space shuttle. Same goes for pretty much all heavy equipment. Of all the equipment operators I know/worked with (100s) not a single good operator learned his trade in one oof the "operators schools" you see advertised.
When the Insurance Company for shop I worked in insisted our lift truck operators be safety certified I aced the test without taking the class. Because of t hat, the shop decided that I would be the one to certify the rest of the operators. There are some folks without a lick of common sense that should take a class. Those same folk really should find employment other than equipment operators ;)

/ Need safety advice #8  
back down ramps , do not drive down forward ...

no riders other than the driver.

fully inspect the unit before using it each day .....

LOOK in the direction you are moving at all times ....

/ Need safety advice #9  
In my experience "trained" operators are some of the worst. You need experience, not a class. To get experience you simply "have at it". If it feels a bit tippy, then it is. If you go slow and careful, it's very simple. It's a forklift, not a space shuttle. Same goes for pretty much all heavy equipment. Of all the equipment operators I know/worked with (100s) not a single good operator learned his trade in one oof the "operators schools" you see advertised.

People who just "have at it' tend to be those people who are otherwise known in accident reports as "statistics".

/ Need safety advice #10  
Never know, he might have meant "have at it while being very careful."