Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Im getting a small Mini X and the roof is about 3 or 4 inches to tall .Its tube framed and looks like I could just take it off and remove 3 inches from each section. then weld it back. Im assuming that a second pipe inside it to "sleeve' it is the way to go?
Any thoughts are welcomed. thanks..
I would rather shorten it some than to leave it completly off.

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #2  
Do you know whether the structure is part of a ROPS or FOPS system? This may affect your decision to do the modification.

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #3  

Me, too.

With tractors, owners often leave the ROPS folded if it's too tall, which renders it
useless.

Here is a photo of one shortened ROPS, for a Kioti CK30. When I did mine, I got
some inch-sized rectangular tubing, which did not match perfectly with the metric
stuff in the OEM ROPS. For sleeving, I used 4 short pieces of 1/4" plate welded
inside the cuts on both sides.

With the shortened ROPS, I can now store my tractor in my workshop, which has
an 8-ft rollup door. It is still considerably higher than my head.

Attachments

• ROPS_shortened.jpg
    ROPS_shortened.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 420
   / Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy
HMM not sure. Id guess the roof adds some protection...
Do you know whether the structure is part of a ROPS or FOPS system? This may affect your decision to do the modification.

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #5  
If it's a fairly new mini it is likely ROPS certified. By that there is nothing to keep you from modifying the ROPS but if you sell it could be a problem. If injured the person who buys could come back to you for liability even if that person was aware of the modification. I'm sure you can do a good job knowing it is for your protection. Due to the versatility of my mini-ex I have been in some very precarious positions. I'm glad I have a sturdy ROPS but sometimes I wish I had a cab to better protect my head, limbs.

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #6  
If it's a fairly new mini it is likely ROPS certified. By that there is nothing to keep you from modifying the ROPS but if you sell it could be a problem. If injured the person who buys could come back to you for liability even if that person was aware of the modification. I'm sure you can do a good job knowing it is for your protection. Due to the versatility of my mini-ex I have been in some very precarious positions. I'm glad I have a sturdy ROPS but sometimes I wish I had a cab to better protect my head, limbs.
Some good advice here...

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy
Thanks its a 87 model. Id also like to add and ask if a sleeve inside or on the outside of the piep is stronger.The inside one would allow the weld to connect the two pieces at the original cut and also weld onto the sleeve pipe inside. Where the outsidfe would only have two spots welded onto the ends of the sleeve pipe.

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #8  
IF I were cutting and shortening it, I would sleeve it on the inside with a tight fitting sleeve that is welded in place to the top section slipped on over the sleeve and butt welded to the sleeve and ROPS frame making for a 100% penetration weld. It will be stronger at that point than the original material was.

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #9  
Im assuming that a second pipe inside it to "sleeve' it is the way to go?
Any thoughts are welcomed. thanks..

If you are not sure of your ability to get a full penetration weld without the inner sleeve - then that's definitely the way to go.
It's much easier than an open root to weld and is the way I do it whenever I have the option.

Leave enough space to get your weld all the way to the sleeve, weld all three pieces together and you're all set :)

Edit: oops...didn't see some of the other posts...oh well, I'll just leave it - make sure and take some pics!

/ Advice on welding and shortning a roll bar with canopy #10  
Definitely sleeve it. Putting plate on the outside might be stronger (better moment of inertia for bending) but it will look like a scab. Sleeving the inside and welding that to both halves and the halves together ought to be plenty assuming good welds. Still don't like the idea of messing with it if it is ROPS cert'd.