Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed?

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #1  

TxDoc

Tractor
Kubota ZG227, wanting BX25D
I did not want to intrude on the chainsaw danger thread. The worst thing about the chainsaw cut to skin is that is does not cut a nice, smooth cut with edges that can be sutured nicely. Each tooth jerks out a chunk of skin, leaving a jagged, mess. The first time I saw the Saw Stop, I could not believe it could prevent damage with such a fast blade tip speed.

So, would you stick your finger in....to prove a point?

Sure you would! If your name was Steve Gass and you truly believed in your product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTUOhYcw4ZY&feature=player_detailpage

How the SawStop Technology Works | SawStop

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #2  
That is absolutely amazing. !!!! I bought my table saw from someone that cut their finger off with it. I bet he wished he had one of those. I wish I had one of those.!

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #3  
Still turns the stomach, but it is amazing. Would I try it with my finger, ummm.....no

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #4  
It works by sensing capacitance.

The stoppage will start working before you actual touch the metal.

If you don't believe it, then touch the sides of the blade.

I have a Note 3 Smart phone, and it uses a external pen to select what I want before I even touch the screen. I believe that is capacitance is working there also.

I still believe you can cut yourself by the speed you hand is moving.

Try it with a hotdog, and you will see.

Can you afford one?

Amazon.com: SawStop: S

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #5  
Im not sure i could even bring myself to use someone else finger, but i sure wish they weren't so expensive.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #6  
I do suspect a fast moving hand or one pulled into the blade by wood getting caught would be a concern. Also, this is a one time safety module you can't "check " if it operational. It is still pretty amazing.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed?
The cost is pretty cheap if you look at what a trip to emergency room, orthopedic surgery, vascular surgery, hospitalization, and a life altered forever.

I remember a baseball player from the '70s named Roger Metzger who was a Golden Glove shortstop for the Houston Astros. During an off-season, he was doing cabinet work in his garage and severed a half-inch of four fingers with a table saw. He attempted a comeback, but just could not function as before. Very, very sad story. That accident essentially ended his career in baseball.

Beaver County Times - Google News Archive Search

It costs $70-90 for a new cartridge to reset it.

It will work with gloves on. It has to get to a finger to activate it.

Frequently asked questions:
SawStop Frequently Asked Questions | SawStop

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #8  
Roy Underhill, on the Woodright Shop, said his foot operated treadle machine has the earliest version of this.

The power is automatically cut off on skin contact, every time. :thumbsup:

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #9  
I know what it feels like to get bit by a table saw, I almost lost a thumb from one, still dont have all the feeling back after 20+ years. great invention but i would not try it. Too many flash backs just watching it.