Crane flips, operator bails out

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
about 3 second after tilt starts.

He would have had a wild ride and maybe not survived if he was slower.

Jump ahead to about 3:30

Bruce

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #2  
OOOOPS

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #3  
gone in a heart beat! wow!

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #4  
Wild ride down ? No way ! He would have been dead.

In the fall of 2009 I lost a truck mounted log loader that went over the side of a mountain. The ground gave way due to the heavy rains and unable to get a stable footing for the stabilizers. This was like the situation "Craig" on Axe Men worked in. Well over it went, I bailed out and the machine stopped about 400 feet down the mountain. It didnt look much like a loader when it finally landed. John

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #5  
Should have tested his reach with that load over solid ground. One of the lessons learned from the Thresher: Don't make a shakedown run over deep water.

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #6  
Ballast, ballast, ballast ... and solid earth (or blocking) under the stabilizers.

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #7  
Wow. That was horrible. If they couldn't get the dozer down there without a crane how in the world will they ever get all that equipment back up. Seems they now have to build a road to get down there.

Amamzing how fast it can hit the fan.

MoKelly

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #8  
Should have tested his reach with that load over solid ground. One of the lessons learned from the Thresher: Don't make a shakedown run over deep water.

I didn't see any issue with solid ground (or the lack of it). It appeared to me the back end of the crane (where truck cab is located) started lifting without the front (closest to the video-taker) not moving much if at all. Looks like not enough ballast or perhaps the front stabilizers weren't out enough - or both.

Another question: who is usually at fault in situations like this? The operator or is there an engineer that signs off on each lift or what?

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #9  
I think the crane was okay lifting the load at that reach. To me it seemed he decelerated the drop to quickly and it made the dozer heavier than it's actual weight (dynamic weight???).

/ Crane flips, operator bails out #10  
Lucky Russian landed on his feet like a cat.