Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not?

/ Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I have a trio of metal cased/metal valve Amerex fire extinguishers....a pair are 2A 10BC and the bigger one is 4A 60BC...pressure gage on all 3 indicates loss of pressure. Have to wonder if it's worth the expense of having them recharged or if it's better to just buy new ones. Any advice here? Thanks.

/ Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not? #2  
Metal valves, yes. Usually, it's cost effective.

The fire extinguisher company will usually advise you which is best.

/ Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not? #3  
The case may have a build date of mfg, and therefore there is always an expiration date, that prohibits reuse after that date. Stop in at your local volunteer fire department. They know this kind of intel, and will be glad to advise.

/ Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not? #4  
I pay $14 each annually for the guy to come out and re-certify 20 of them...

/ Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not? #5  
Our local volunteer fire department will recharge fire extinguishers for members free.

/ Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not? #6  
An extinguisher repair company should give you a quote on the phone based on manufacturer/model/size. There will always be a "what if" in case they find a bad seal, dents, bad spring, cracked hose or nozzle, etc. then you're talking time and materials which could be pricey.

My last few I just replaced with new, but they are the multi-purpose dry chemical type which are suitable for my garage, kitchen, basement, and shed.

/ Recharging fire extingusihers....cost effective or not? #7  
I did extinguisher sales and service many years ago before I retired from the FD. Those are quality extinguishers and worth getting recharged. Regulations require they be emptied and refilled every 6 years, pressure checked every 12 years if memory serves me right. If it's been a while since they were bought or serviced you may have to do a little extra maintenance.

The plastic valve ones are disposable. They have a tendency to lose pressure when refilled even if you put in new parts. As cheap as they are just buy new when they are used or leak down.

I have large 20 lb metal units available and keep the smaller plastic ones at entrances to the shop, barn and garage. I also have 2 1/2 gallon water extinguishers around. The nice thing about them is you can recharge them yourself.