Stump Grinder accident

/ Stump Grinder accident #41  
It may have been an reenactment, but am sure it reasonably depicts the result of a stump grinder on a leg.

Interesting how emotional we, as individuals, can become, even in a TBN thread, about behavior. With lots of opinions about how to avoid, or not, the consequences of an action.

I'm reminded, sadly, of how emotions which get out of control can have deadly consequences.

Example 1, the race driver who jumped out of his car after a wreck onto the track and got run over by the fellow who nudged his car off the track.
Example 2, the fellow in Franklin who was agitated from stealing and chose to oppose commands from a policeman and allegedly the policeman himself.

In both cases, I believe, the people died because they chose a behavior which put themselves at extreme risk with no benefit, which I can see, to their actions. It was the emotion and actions of the moment which led to their death. May we all keep our emotions and actions in proper control today.

/ Stump Grinder accident #42  
Your allowed your own beliefs and opinions even though they are WRONG!

You just keep your head under the sheets/head in the sand and leave reality to the ones who see it everyday on the streets, fields, construction sites, workplaces and homes.

Narrow-minded | Define Narrow-minded at Dictionary.com

Pretty much describes your POV no?

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

Unlike you, I speak only for myself. Others can agree or disagree as they please, and I don't take it as a personal insult.

They can take responsibility for their own actions, or let Nanny Government make the world a safe place for them. I prefer to think for myself, thank you!

/ Stump Grinder accident #43  
Unlike you, I speak only for myself. Others can agree or disagree as they please, and I don't take it as a personal insult. They can take responsibility for their own actions, or let Nanny Government make the world a safe place for them. I prefer to think for myself, thank you!

As you should!

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ Stump Grinder accident #44  
Of courser mechanical failure is sometimes unavoidable even with proper maintainence.bit agreed most are avoidable

/ Stump Grinder accident #45  
Every OSHA rule came about because of preventable injuries/deaths; some say the are written in blood and it wasn't any "college educated pencil pusher" who came up with them, they were proposed by people who were tired of seeing their fellow workers being injuries and dying because of lack of safety rules.

At one time, in some portions of the country, one out of every two linemen hired would perish. Today it's still just as hazardous a trade as it was then but due to such things as OSHA, linemen can expect to "live long and prosper" and retire after a full career in the trade as I did.

Whenever I see someone stating that "you can't avoid accidents" I always think that they are just rationalizing their inability to analyze a situation and take preventative measures.

Preventative measures come at a cost. They slow down processes, cost money, reduce efficiency. Ultimate safety is staying in bed, but lack of physical activation can cause heart diseases and obesity... Yes there is no place on earth with absolute safety.

The best preventative measure is hands-on education: Know the risks, then you know how to avoid them. At a fireman training the instructor said: "Nothing is really dangerous when you can oversee the risks"

Even preventative measures have their weaknesses. You can try to make everything fool prove, only to find out that in the mean time fools have evolved too... Some people really dont see risks of a machine, you pick them out soon enough and then you put them somewhere else, where they cant hurt themself. The most dangerous worker is one that knows safety by the book, but doesnt see risks by himself. He will even hurt himself despite measures.

/ Stump Grinder accident #46  
I am a PADI certified scuba diver. The most important thing I learned 20+ years ago in those classes was "Think first, panic later. This has saved my life three times in the ocean and once in fresh water. I used to free dive for abalone, no scuba,(no air tank) Take a deep breath, swim down, "pop" the abalone and swim back to the surface, and breath again. All was going to plan until "swim back to the surface" and I looked up to see 25 feet of ocean above me. I am out of breath my heart racing and I started to panic because I was going to die. Then I remembered what I had been taught. I had to access the situation and find out why I was still on the bottom. That's when I saw a piece of kelp had wrapped itself around my fin strap. I freed myself and shot to the surface spitting out my snorkel on the way up because I knew there was no air left in my lungs to clear it. I busted through the surface and gasped in a fresh breath. That was the sweetest air I ever breathed! I don't know which of the previous posts this fits, but I do know "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER" I also believe that we were all given brains and if we fail to use them, we will die. I hope I haven't offended anyone with any of the previous thoughts/opinions. 445A

/ Stump Grinder accident #47  
I hope I haven't offended anyone with any of the previous thoughts/opinions. 445A
Not me.... i know the feeling. The boost of adrenaline can make you miraculously calm. Once dropped flat on my belly from 6 meters down, bystanders said i clawed like a cat in open air, but immediately extended my limbs at a 45 degree angle to break the fall. I had a broken wrist but no internal damage. The other time a trailer swayed me off the road into the trees, i slammed the brakes at the exact moment to be able to overtrhow the trailer but not crash into one of them mighty oaks.

Sometimes in daily life i miss that boost of adrenaline, that puts your senses and brains on max alert and makes you so darned sure of what youre doing that its going automagically... Without any hesitation, no doubt at all, full focus on the situation youre in... Or maybe its just my servant angel taking over ;)

Anyways, i dont know how Darwinism explains panic, but it does absolutely no good when things run out of hand...