Replacing the Seat Belt

/ Replacing the Seat Belt #1  

davrow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27HST
The seatbelt on my tractor has the retractor at the latch end instead of the end where it mounts to the tractor. It is terribly awkward and inconvenient - it also does not work well, does not retract the belt once taken off.

Does anyone know if I can replace this with a more automotive style seatbelt that has the retractor fixed to the tractor and just the belt pulls out from that?

I know there are a lot of after market seatbelts that would suffice, but any opinions on the safety aspect?

Any thoughts on going to a 3 point belt?

Specifically, I have a recent vintage Kioti CK27HST. I've no idea if other tractors use the stupid (in my opinion) retractor at the latch style seatbelts.

This is what I am currently considering (in Kioti orange, of course) - the store is about 1/2 hour away: http://www.seatbeltsplus.com

/ Replacing the Seat Belt #2  
The 3pt belt helps protect you from getting tossed around in high speed crashes. Given tractor speed isn't high speed, shouldn't be an issue. The lap belt is designed to keep you in the seat & under the ROPS bar when you roll so the ROPS bar can protect you.

Any lap belt should be fine as long as of will hold you in the seat & gets used.

/ Replacing the Seat Belt #3  
What Fallon said. You might also try Amazon.com, JCWhitney.com or even an auto/truck junkyard for lower costs. You may need to modify the attachment bracket(s) of the new belt to fit your specific conditions but easily enough done, also try to use the same attachment bolts from the original if in good enough condition or replace with the same size and use at least Grade 5 bolts.

/ Replacing the Seat Belt #4  
The auto-retractor on my Kubota seatbelt froze up. Kubota wanted an obscene amount for a replacement. I replaced it with one from seatbeltsplus. Love it. Cheap, simple and effective.

- Jay

/ Replacing the Seat Belt #5  
I had a problem with the retract portion of my belt on my JD 3720. It was very difficult to pull out and would not go back it worth a darn, and it just didn't seem long enough. Then I noticed that the retractor was getting pinched by the seat causing all this. To the dealer it went. They replaced it and found that it was installed backwards from either the factory or some previous warranty work. Works fine now.

/ Replacing the Seat Belt
Thanks for the replies. :)

/ Replacing the Seat Belt #7  
I managed to drop the buckle and retractor under the seat once and smashed it when I plopped back down in the seat. I replaced it with a non-retracting belt from a wrecking yard.