Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #2  
A lot of times, someone will be driving at a higher speed down the road and hit only one of the split brakes, which causes the tractor to skid to one side and roll. Of course, don't know the specifics of this case. Just speculation. My old IH2500b had split brakes and a bar that could be flipped to lock them together to prevent only one from being hit while on the road. Specifically stated in operator's manual to always lock those split brake pedals together any time the tractor was in high range. I wonder how many of us actually do that? :confused:

Anyhow, sad for his family. :(

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #3  
Good analysis, entirely possible scenario. Good to be reminded of proper procedure...for those having an older tractor. Me, with HST, just lift foot from forward pedal and it slows right down, straight and smooth.

Sad result, whatever reason.

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #4  
Good analysis, entirely possible scenario. Good to be reminded of proper procedure...for those having an older tractor. Me, with HST, just lift foot from forward pedal and it slows right down, straight and smooth.

Sad result, whatever reason.

My IH2500b was hydro. Forward and reverse pedals on the left foot, split brakes on the right foot. Throttle pedal to the left of the brakes and differential lock behind your right heel, too. Top speed was as I recall, about 16mph in high range going forward. I kept those brake pedals locked together anytime I took it on pavement or had to tram any distance in high. I rarely used high range. It was gutless and we have hills on the tree farm, so low range was the norm... which brings about the infamiliarity of operating at high speed... If you don't practice or do things with regularity, you won't be too good in a panic situation.

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #5  
Exactly. When I take my tractor to highway speeds, about once a year, it feels squirrley and very fast response to steering wheel. I typically back off some...not going that far and better to arrive in one piece.

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #6  
About every 3-4 years I'd pay a guy $40.00 to load mine on a fladbed wrecker and drive it home for me for the winter. It was only 9-10 miles, but no good way home without taking it on a 55mph two-lane hwy. Wasn't worth the risk to me.

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #7  
A lot of times, someone will be driving at a higher speed down the road and hit only one of the split brakes, which causes the tractor to skid to one side and roll. Of course, don't know the specifics of this case. Just speculation. My old IH2500b had split brakes and a bar that could be flipped to lock them together to prevent only one from being hit while on the road. Specifically stated in operator's manual to always lock those split brake pedals together any time the tractor was in high range. I wonder how many of us actually do that? :confused:

Anyhow, sad for his family. :(

same thoughts as well.

i have vehicle/tractor confusion at times, hoping in out of multi units a day, and having pedals and levers all in different positions :/ even being fully conscious and wide awake and paying attention, muscle memory plays havoc (that's what i will blame it on), and with so many folks in the fields last couple weeks... it's going to be problematic for some, not just physical, but also mental fatigue.

not even on concrete / asphalt road. but have had my foot slip just right to almost get caught (kinda snagged) some between split brake pedals. ya feel it, ya notice it, and it does distract ya some... easy for an accident to happen. i love my split brakes. but still they can get ugly fast.

i have had my shoe-lace come un-done, and want to catch a pedal and wrap around before i even realized it came un-done.

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #8  
ROPS? doubt it

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #9  
same thoughts as well.

i have vehicle/tractor confusion at times, hoping in out of multi units a day, and having pedals and levers all in different positions :/ even being fully conscious and wide awake and paying attention, muscle memory plays havoc (that's what i will blame it on), and with so many folks in the fields last couple weeks... it's going to be problematic for some, not just physical, but also mental fatigue.

Agree. I too will blame muscle memory. My motorcycle has been down all summer, instead rode a 4 wheeler all summer that has 1 brake lever on the right handlebar. Finally got cycle back together, which has brake on right handle, clutch on left. Let me tell ya, that reprogramming of the muscle memory all summer on the ATV made me have to relearn the motorcycle I've been driving for 20 years the first few times I drove it!

/ Local man killed in tractor roll-over.....please be careful out there #10  
Thanks for the post, Aaron S. I read the safety forum now and then just to keep my appreciation of the subject in mind. It seems that there are so many "different" situations that we find ourselves once in awhile. At that moment I have to pause and rethink......"safety"....but then, sheet happens once in awhile.