ROP roll over protection bad design? is yours like this?

/ ROP roll over protection bad design? is yours like this?
Mine on the 1025 stays folded at 90 degrees all the time. It's too tall for either the garage door nor many trees I go under on my trails. Can't imagine why they make them taller than standard garage door openings. That's what the fixed one on my 4010 was. It was fine.

The other stupid thing they do is to put the flasher light assemblies outside the ROPS. I moved mine inside on the 4010. Haven't done so on the 1025 yet despite bashing up one lens already. (And the lenses on it are different from the old ones I saved from the 4010.)

Ralph

I know!! Im sure they made them taller than garage door because of over kill safty. Mine needs to be just a few inches (I think like 3-4 to be able to drive in)
I did see somewhere ....a thread where a guy cut his down and 're welded....now there will be many many that says NO! I haven't rolled tractor over to know if a couple inches would make a difference or not. (Nor mearsured or calculate if the degrees lost in cutting down would make a difference? )

Yes...the lights.....I'm currently waiting on u joints for driveshaft. But my lights will be moved inside the rops also!
Have had a number of times......I glance over and see the light is skimming a tree. I really can't believe I still have mine....lol

Oh....and for the cutting down the rops........my opinion is....if one leaves it down all the time because of height to and can't fit threw door vs cut down and can fit threw door.....BUT up all time......seems like a rops that is cut down and up will give more protection than none, right?

/ ROP roll over protection bad design? is yours like this? #12  
I would modify mine in a heartbeat if it wouldn't fit in the storage shed. I know that if it wouldn't, then I would either be leaving it down or removing it completely so one that is modified but used is much better than one not used at all.

One should have adequate welding skills to do this though or find someone to do it for you who does possess these skills. It isn't rocket science to make a weld on these as they are just carbon steel tubing but it does need to be sound and at least as big as the original weld that is removed.

I would modify mine in a heartbeat if it wouldn't fit in the storage shed. I know that if it wouldn't, then I would either be leaving it down or removing it completely so one that is modified but used is much better than one not used at all.

One should have adequate welding skills to do this though or find someone to do it for you who does possess these skills. It isn't rocket science to make a weld on these as they are just carbon steel tubing but it does need to be sound and at least as big as the original weld that is removed.

Oh must defiantly. In fact....if I ever do modify mine....I have a neighbor who is a welder.
I know how....but been 10yrs....so I'm not going to chance my weld compare to one who welds all the time....lol
But I've built trailers and trailer mesh gates all welding....but been to many yrs ago!

I may do dumb things sometimes. ....but smart about doing them....lol

/ ROP roll over protection bad design? is yours like this? #14  

I park mine in the garage in the winter. I did have the (non-foldable) ROPS on my old JD750 shortened by about 6" or so so it would fit. I just make it a point to remember to fold the one on the Kioti. I don't know why they make them so tall...I've seen some Kubotas with shorter ones that still seem more than adequate as far as protection goes. Looked factory.

I'm sure they are tall to protect the manufacturing. I'm sure it's design is computer generated for a fail safe height. (In case of uneven ground or if rop rolled into a hole. The extra height is there for that reason.

I've been digging out a shallow pond this last week. Everyday. ....rops goes up.....then down. I have some blue tape I tape to outside garage and as I pull in...I take it down and tape steering wheel.....as I back out I tape above overhead door.
If I don't. ...I know I will forget and crush door.....lol

One of these days...I have a neighbour that welds for living....and going to have him cut/weld like four inches off.
I know I will wear seatbelt even mowing if rops is always up.

/ ROP roll over protection bad design? is yours like this? #16  
I have to think that ROP are made to stay up ALL the time, unless having to drive under something?
That's the only thing I can think of with what or how my JD 2320 rops is.

I went to raise the rops up and water come pouring out! I forgot it rained some days before and tractor was left outside that day.
Instantly....I thought...um....water plus metal equels RUST! ... but I thought....wow.....good thing I raised it when I did.....who knows how long the water could be sitting inside??

My 2.5 acres is flat. So..my rops stays down 90% of the time. The only time I raise it is whenever I do ANY loader work. (I know myself. ..I have known myself to put equipment to it's limits....lol....of course without being just plan stupid)
(Also....with rops up.....I hit garage overhead.....I always forget the darn thing..lol)

Most of the time tractor is either under lean-two or in garage. But here in Florida.....the humidity is horrific! Most days iin morning it looks like it rained the night before. So....

I wonder if I should drill a small hole....like 1/8-1/4 inch into the top of ROPS.....this would allow water to drain out of the metal when rops is down?

Worse yet if full of water and freezes. Doesn't matter how thick the metal, she is going to split.

/ ROP roll over protection bad design? is yours like this? #17  
I ran a couple of square tubes from the FEL supports up and over the steering wheel, forming an arch. Then laid a piece of 3/4' plywood from about a foot in front of this arch to about a foot behind my ROPS. Now I have a spot to hang my radio, mount my work lights, front and rear as well as my speakers. It also keeps the rain, sun and most of the snow off so I can park beside the garage which is full of other STUFF...

Worse yet if full of water and freezes. Doesn't matter how thick the metal, she is going to split.

Funny I read this now.....it got down to 20 degrees last night here in north FL. (Which doesn't happen often)
Been letting tractor sit outside so new painted bucket cures.....and I think the rops is down and rain the other day. So....we'll see ....if I reply....nit good news......if not....all good....thanks for tip!