Combine driver charged

/ Combine driver charged #2  
This is surprising because normally in the agricultural Midwest farm equipment has the right of way and no width limit. When responsible for soybean header engineering at Deutz-Allis, I asked one customer why he bought 22 foot headers for his 4 combine fleet because 22 feet doesn't match row spacing very well. His answer was 24 foot bridges. This was an Illinois customer. As operations have gotten bigger moving field to field using a header trailer is becoming the norm because 30 yo 45 foot headers are quite common but all ag equipment is large. I was pricing an 80 foot cultivator and it folded to 18 feet, still pretty wide for a 12.5 foot lane let alone the 10 foot lanes on the highway through our farm. But here in Minnesota I checked and of course no hoping on the Interstates but everywhere else ag machine width us not limited and also has the right of way. Of course we are reasonable, keep an eye for traffic in front and behind, and move over as far as possible. Not only for safety but downtime if somebody smashes into my implement, grain head, etc.

/ Combine driver charged #3  
John Deere combine.
Would he have been let off with a different brand?

/ Combine driver charged #4  
This is surprising because normally in the agricultural Midwest farm equipment has the right of way and no width limit. When responsible for soybean header engineering at Deutz-Allis, I asked one customer why he bought 22 foot headers for his 4 combine fleet because 22 feet doesn't match row spacing very well. His answer was 24 foot bridges. This was an Illinois customer. As operations have gotten bigger moving field to field using a header trailer is becoming the norm because 30 yo 45 foot headers are quite common but all ag equipment is large. I was pricing an 80 foot cultivator and it folded to 18 feet, still pretty wide for a 12.5 foot lane let alone the 10 foot lanes on the highway through our farm. But here in Minnesota I checked and of course no hoping on the Interstates but everywhere else ag machine width us not limited and also has the right of way. Of course we are reasonable, keep an eye for traffic in front and behind, and move over as far as possible. Not only for safety but downtime if somebody smashes into my implement, grain head, etc.

They just changed the laws here in WI to be much more ag (or "industrial ag") friendly. It's basically how you describe it, no width limits, and higher per axle weight limits, longer length limits, and so on. I do remember reading that in certain situations you do need a pilot cat, though.

/ Combine driver charged #5  
I do remember reading that in certain situations you do need a pilot cat, though.

pilotcat33.jpg

:)

Bruce

/ Combine driver charged #6  
Improper lane usage might stick, but driving a vehicle too wide for the road will probbaly get dropped if the combine driver has an attorney who can read.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh.+15+Art.+I&ActID=1815&ChapterID=49&SeqStart=152200000&SeqEnd=154400000 said:
625 ILCS 5/15-101) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 15-101)
Sec. 15-101. Scope and effect of Chapter 15.
(b) The provisions of this Chapter governing size, weight and load do not apply to fire apparatus or equipment for snow and ice removal operations owned or operated by any governmental body, or to implements of husbandry, as defined in Chapter 1 of this Code, temporarily operated or towed in a combination upon a highway provided such combination does not consist of more than 3 vehicles or, in the case of hauling fresh, perishable fruits or vegetables from farm to the point of first processing, not more than 3 wagons being towed by an implement of husbandry, or to a vehicle operated under the terms of a special permit issued hereunder.
Interestingly, here is a handout from the Kendall County Ill Sheriffs department which on page 8 shows a combine taking up the whole road and says:
http://www.co.kendall.il.us/wp-content/uploads/sheriff_ROR.pdf said:
Sometimes, farm equipment will take up more than one lane. Use extreme caution during planting and harvest and be prepared to stop quickly.

Aaron Z

/ Combine driver charged #8  
Improper lane usage might stick, but driving a vehicle too wide for the road will probbaly get dropped if the combine driver has an attorney who can read. Interestingly, here is a handout from the Kendall County Ill Sheriffs department which on page 8 shows a combine taking up the whole road and says: Aaron Z

That handout on driving rural roads is great. I also felt certain IL didn't bar wide agricultural equipment since doing that would shut down the state. Glad you could cite the law.

/ Combine driver charged #9  
Here's another Il publication. The story is tragic but there is never an excuse for driving without visibility beyond your stopping distance. Unless the driver of the van was at a dead stop at the time of the collision (It doesn't sound like it) I don't see how the combine driver could be convicted within the law.

http://www.ilfb.org/media/525029/implements_of_husbandry_2010-03b.pdf

/ Combine driver charged #10  
Here's another Il publication. The story is tragic but there is never an excuse for driving without visibility beyond your stopping distance. Unless the driver of the van was at a dead stop at the time of the collision (It doesn't sound like it) I don't see how the combine driver could be convicted within the law.

http://www.ilfb.org/media/525029/implements_of_husbandry_2010-03b.pdf

A few years back one of the guys at work in a rural area met a farmer coming towards him with his large 4 wheel drive tractor and cultivator in the transport position. The guy was driving a 3/4 ton company truck and pulled over until the drivers side wheels were in the ditch and then stopped...but the farmer still managed to collide with him. The cultivator managed to open the truck up to the cab! Amazingly enough, the farmer, when he realized he was hooked into the truck, didn't stop and see if the driver was ok, he just started to try to extradite the cultivator from the truck! Unbelievable!