Field claims yet another tractor!!!

/ Field claims yet another tractor!!! #1  

son of man

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1030
I have a 4 acre field that is gaining a notorious reputation for getting equipment stuck. The first casualty was my ztr quickly followed by my Tacoma who tried to assist. Next was my friend's 45hp White tractor. The most recent victim was my MF1030. I was attempting to bush hog it myself for the first time a couple of weeks ago when the tragedy occurred. The R1s sailed across most of the terrain without a hitch - even areas that had previously claimed other machinery. Unfortunately, my little tractor was no match for this one particular patch of muddy ground...

The back tires just spun in the mud. The front tires are on fairly dry land. Even though the bush hog is raised in the highest position, it is still sitting in the mud. Meanwhile, the tractor is on a slight incline with the left/right lift arms nestled in the ground.

I haven't tried towing it with my Tacoma since I still remember what happened last time with the ztr.:laughing: My friend got his tractor out by chaining one of his rear rims to a nearby tree. I bought 80ft of 5/16 chain and attempted to do the same in my lowest gear. However, I immediately stopped once I noticed the front wheels coming off the ground. My friend told me that was normal. However, it just doesn't feel safe. I think the main difference is he didn't have anything attached to his 3 pt. hitch.

I'm unsure whether a tractor can even overturn backwards with a rotary cutter attached? But I don't want to find out the hard way. So my question is, what's the SAFEST way to get unstuck? I have a couple of friends with 4wd trucks and a neighbor with a tractor whom I haven't yet met (I work with his son). However, I'd like to do it myself if possible. As much as I hate disconnecting the bush hog, that may be the best course of action at this point? I'm thinking the front wheels may stay on the ground without the bush hog holding the tractor back?

/ Field claims yet another tractor!!! #2  
I winched my 8N out once with a HD cable come-along when I got her bury to the rear hub by myself. It was slow difficult work, but eventually after it rolled/dragged her a few feet with the winch, she drove on out the rest of the way. However it was pointed slightly downhill and I had a big tree to tether to. Also the loaded trailer it was pulling had to be disconnected. In your case, I think I'd consider removing the bush hog if you can move it out of the way and pull the tractor in reverse, if it is pointed uphill now.

You can also try building up under the wheels with logs, limbs, brush, wood, rocks or anything else nearby that can support the tractor.

I saw a video of a guy that chained 2 long logs across the outside of his rear wheels and used them to pole-vault his tractor across the mud as his wheels rotated forward.

/ Field claims yet another tractor!!! #3  
   / Field claims yet another tractor!!!
Thanks for the suggestions MitchellB! Unfortunately, I don't own or have access to a winch or trailer. I did try placing some brush and wood under the front of the rear tires but that didn't work. I don't know how I feel about the whole pole vaulting thing. I might have to save that for the pros in the TBN Olympics. :D

I wish I had some pics as I don't think I'm explaining myself too well. The tractor isn't really on an incline as in going uphill. It's more like the bush hog got stuck in a low spot and the tractor couldn't pull it out. Therefore, the back of the tractor also sunk down in the mire while the front is on more solid ground. At this point, it looks like the tractor alone (ie no bush hog attached) would be free with one or two forward tire rotations. However, if I put her in reverse, I would actually have to go back thru all the mud.

/ Field claims yet another tractor!!! #5  
loop a chain over your front axle down around the chain tied to your rear rim. This keeps the front from climbing to much and will allow you to pull yourself out. Use low gear and take it easy, should walk itself out this way.

/ Field claims yet another tractor!!!
Thanks for the link motownbrowne! The firewall on this computer won't allow me to access it so I will have to check it out later. I've been doing a little research lately and had no idea just how dangerous operating a tractor can be!

/ Field claims yet another tractor!!! #7  
Have you consider heavy duty come along? plus you could always use the come along for other duties.

/ Field claims yet another tractor!!! #9  
If you think taking the bush hog off will let the front wheels pull you free from the mud, I would do that and get the tractor unstuck. If the tractor can maneuver well on the more solid ground, then use the tractor to pull the bush hog free from the mud with a log chain while the tractor stays on solid ground. Once you get the bush hog up out of the mud with the chain, then hook it back up to the 3pt and away you go.. Doesn't this sound more safe than anything you have tried?