HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out...

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
Drove home from work today and it was pretty nasty, 4-5F and gusts of wind. When the gusts died down, you could see for most of a mile. When they kicked up (which they would do suddenly) you had a hard time seeing the car in front of you.
Probably 1/3 of the cars I saw had no headlights on. It was hard enough to see the car in front of you when the wind kicked up if they had their headlights on. Without them, it was virtually impossible.

PLEASE, turn your headlights on when its nasty out. Its not just so you can see, but so that you can be seen by others.

Aaron Z

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #2  
DITTO
and it doesn't hurt to clear off the rear tail lights, although they get covered
over quickly by the snow collecting on the back of the vehicle.....
tis a nasty day out there
:eek:

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #3  
I agree 100% and see it all the time too. Just saw it again Monday coming home from work. Driving on Rte 81 it was clear and doing 65 one minute then ran into a white out in the snow band that had been dumping snow all day S.E. of Lake Ontario. Traffic had slowed to 10 MPH and very few had the sense to turn their lights on. A lot of vehicles have daytime running lights but that's only on the front. The tail lights aren't lit and hard to see in a white out. Several cars had spun out and were off the road. I got off at the next exit and took back roads home. Once home I was able to get some seat time plowing 22" of snow.
So a reminder to all (during poor visibility conditions) to turn on your lights even if you have DTR lights. People also forget to turn on their lights when the windshield wipers are on. (It's the law here)

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #4  
Cleaning your head and tail light lens is also a must. I have seen cars with lens so coated in crud you could not see them from 50ft. Tail lights are worse when ice melt is used on the roads. Completely covers the lens in a very short time. Please clean them often.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out...
My headlights go on when I start the car and off when I shut it off. That way someone can't say they didn't see me :D

Aaron Z

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #6  
I see it here a lot, too. And idiots that tour around in snow storms & fog with their parking lights on. Parking lights are for parking, only.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #7  
For being a state law in pa to have your headlights on when your wipers are, so few people fail to do so. These snow squalls are pretty wild though. It was sun shine at my office and about 5 miles north, it was a white out for the half hour ride home.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #8  
Fortunately on many new cars (mine included) the light automatically are turned on when the Wipers are on.

Running without lights in any kind of marginal conditions is also one of my pet peeves. But a lot of people don't seem to mind keeping their lights off as long as they can kind of sort of see the pavement. or figure out where the ditches are. I always wondered how they see their instrument panel when it is so dark, but then I figured, hey they never look down at their instruments anyway.:confused3:

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #9  
We must remember a lot of people you meet driving an auto have yet to turn their brain on - let alone head lights or wipers. And for a lot of them it will be a lost cause.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #10  
For being a state law in pa to have your headlights on when your wipers are, so few people fail to do so. These snow squalls are pretty wild though. It was sun shine at my office and about 5 miles north, it was a white out for the half hour ride home.

Agreed as a fellow PA'er--People don't really follow the law, it's actually just common sense I think.. Maybe that's the problem. Nothing like coming up on someone in a storm who has all lights off..