PTO accident

/ PTO accident #1  

HunterdonPaul

Bronze Member
I used to work with this fellow. I just found out about an accident that he had while helping out on the family farm. It happened towards the end of last year.

Story

I am lost for words. I'll just say a prayer...

I feel so bad for him and his family...

/ PTO accident #2  
well, buddy, I'll say one too.
Sorry to hear the bad news.
C1

/ PTO accident #3  
A very sad story indeed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ PTO accident #4  
Whew... I had to stop reading half way down..

I just sent that prayer out...

Soundguy

/ PTO accident #5  
I am very sorry for these people...

I know of several of these accidents. Last year, a farmer not far away from us, tumbled over some rubbish, and fell into the pto shaft of a manure tanker. His arm was catched between the drawbar and PTO shaft, his arm was broken three to four times till his fingers pointed back to his face.

This man struggled for 20 to 25 minutes before his wife got worried at went looking what ook him so long.
The man got his face against the drawbar, this prevented that he would be pulled in further.

The man broke his teeth prothese, not due to the accident but because his strong bite, when he fighted with the pulling PTO.

I think he has recovered now.

My neighbor was in a comparable accident about 30 years ago, but he was VERY lucky: He was operating a pull type excavator with a PTO driven oil pump, loading muck into a spreader.

While he stepped over the drawbar, the PTO grabbed him. He put his hands on his knees, and tried to keep standing upright (i dont think he would be able to tell this story to his children if he was forced to "sit down" on the shaft !!)

Anyway, the tractor was a Ferguson 30 hp, his clothing in the PTO stalled the engine !!!!
Now that's being lucky !!

His feets were pressed about 20 centimeter into the muck at the working area, he said he never was as strong as in that moment... his legs were all red, and he had sore knees and feet for some weeks.

/ PTO accident #6  
Terrible accident. The man who raised me also suffered a farm accident. The most important "safty" feature of any kind of machinery is your brain. (That goes for my father also, may he rest in peace ... it was a stoopid accident caused by the lack of THINKING.) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.

/ PTO accident #7  
<font color="blue">ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. </font>

And...if I may add...listen to your instincts!

A while back somewhere I read a report of an investigation of home woodworking shop accidents. A common thread was how many [of those who were injured ] said they thought about the possible danger of what they were going to before they decided to do it, but did it anyway. And so they lost a finger or got severly injured after deciding to do what was known to be risky to them to begin with!

If it feels dangerous, stop and figure a way to do it safely. The pain of taking extra time to do something safely is easier to bear than the pain of bodily injury!

If it doesn't feel dangerous...try to look at whatever you are doing in see if there are hidden dangers that you do not see...

Now if I can just follow this advice myself... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lot's of mouse traps out there and we are the mice... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ PTO accident #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And...if I may add...listen to your instincts!)</font>

Yep, and those little voices in your head too.....
If something gives you a second thought, pause,
and THINK about it.....

I am speaking from experience, unfortunately.....

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO accident #9  
<font color="blue"> I am speaking from experience, unfortunately.....</font>

Mike care to elaborate on that? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ PTO accident #10  
I had a roll-over.

But right before I got on the tractor, a little voice came on in my head. I shrugged it off. Too bad......

Roll Over story

Should have thought about it a little more...

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif