Co-worker's brother killed plowing snow

/ Co-worker's brother killed plowing snow #11  
Re: Co-worker\'s brother killed plowing snow

yea my boss had done the same thing actualy, the truck is 26,000, under the cdl weight so he figured since CDL is comercial drivers licence, that since you didnt need one then you shouldnt have to stop, but they went after him and made him go back to the checkpoint and thats when they got him on that.

/ Co-worker's brother killed plowing snow #12  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It is hard to know when you have to stop and when you don't. )</font>

Yep, it can be. I believe it was Wyoming where I noticed signs saying "all trailers" had to stop. Now I never knew of RVs having to stop, but since I was pulling a 32' fifth wheel, I didn't take a chance, and of course, they thought I was an idiot for pulling onto the scales with an RV. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Co-worker's brother killed plowing snow #13  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have been told that if you are stopped for a moving violation in MA and you tell the officer that you were tired and that is the reason for the violation, that they will also site you for an additional violation. )</font>

It sounds like they were referring to "Operating negligently so as to endanger the lives and safety of the public". Falling asleep at the wheel is considered prima facia evidence in any trial for this criminal offense. I don't recall the penalties off hand but some license loss and jail time are possible depending on the circumstances of the case.

I have never really seen the "falling asleep" part used in simple traffic stops, usually only in vehicle crashes, but this doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.

Talk about scary, when I was a teen ager dating my now Wife I drove home from her house late one night when I was really tired. The ride was about an hour and I "woke up" in my driveway with no idea of how I got there and no recollection of the last half hour of the drive. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Co-worker's brother killed plowing snow #14  

Yep, that reminds me of the time when I was dating a nurse from White River Junction, I live in SE CT.- 2hrs, 40min. away. One time I left her place at 11:00, a little tired, but hey, no big deal, figuring by the time I got home I'd still get 5 1/2 hrs sleep before getting up for work- not to bad at 23yrs. old. Well, after driving for an hour, I started seeing road signs that I didn't remember- hmm, drive a little further, didn't need to look at the stinking map, well, finally I did OH $#%!, Montpelior? was 1 hour north, not south of where I needed to be! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I turned around when I could, man that was a long trip home- then I WAS tired, but hey , I was glad to get the 2 hours sleep that I did when I got home!! The worst time I ever had was coming home from Manassas, Virginia after a weekend VW show. My parents and I (me!) decided to leave Sunday night after the show, instead of Monday morning- BIG mistake! We were only about 2 hours into the trip (6 3/4 hrs.) when I started to get tired- and that situation just got worse, and worse and worse. Trying to keep myself from falling asleep was the biggest mistake I made, should have pulled over, and finally did in a south Jersey rest stop. I fell asleep for about 20 mins, woke up, opened the car down and tossed my cookies in the parking lot- not nice /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif( I think that was a form of motion sickness from opening and closing my eyes so much while driving). Well, still being young and dumb I said to my tired and nervous parents" Naw, I'm alright now, it's only 3 1/2 hours to home, I can do it". Well about a half hour later I started to hallucinate VERY badly, I remember the Jersey barriers moving across the road in front of me enough so that I had to jam on the brakes, and every single yellow sign on the side of the road turned into a rain coat wearing bicycle rider /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif! Well that made me stop, almost right away, and let Dad drive- LESSON LEARNED!!!