Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #2  
A deer hunter leaped to safety just before rotating blades of a tree trimmer suspended from a helicopter ripped through his tree stand and crossbow.
...and then went home to change his pants. YIKES!

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #3  
I never heard of a helicopter tree trimmer...what will they think of next?

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #4  
I never heard of a helicopter tree trimmer...what will they think of next?
We had one working in the area a few years ago.
They used our yard to park and refuel for several days.

Attachments

• HPIM0623.JPG
    HPIM0623.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 661
  • HPIM0627.JPG
    HPIM0627.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 530
   / Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #5  
I actually worked with these guys back in the 90's in Indiana. The refueled every 90 minutes. The saw is ten 2 foot diameter circular saw blades powered by a 45 hp snowmobile engine. The pilot has an on/off switch, and switch to full throttle, and a switch to quick detach the whole unit if it gets hung up in a tree.

The inventor for this setup used the copter hydraulic to power the first prototype unit. Unfortunately he got hung up, ran out of fuel, crashed and died.

They can trim 5 miles of a right of way on both sides in a 10 hour day. The crews that I worked with, worked 10 ten hours days, and then were off for 21 days.

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #6  
Sound fishy too me, you can hear them 20 miles away they are god awful noisy. You both rotor wash noise as well as the wine from the blades!

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #7  
Now that's a pole saw!

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #8  
Even though the hunter was on his property he had given the power co. Easement rights to put in a power line. and hunting in the cleared area knowing where he was at and hearing a helicopter close and the noise of the saws he should of had enough time to climb down unless he wanted to make the news. And where was the person usually driving ahead of the saw. to make sure area was cleared for trimming.
Need Paul Harvey to finish the "rest of the story."
ken

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #9  
I agree with Ken & rrrkkk - something isn't just right. Where is the "forward" safety man & why couldn't the hunter hear the operation coming his way.

One of those units was featured in one of the James Bond movies. Cut the poo out of everything.

/ Hunter in tree almost gets trimmed by helicopter trim saw #10  
Even though the hunter was on his property he had given the power co. Easement rights to put in a power line. and hunting in the cleared area knowing where he was at and hearing a helicopter close and the noise of the saws he should of had enough time to climb down unless he wanted to make the news. And where was the person usually driving ahead of the saw. to make sure area was cleared for trimming.
Need Paul Harvey to finish the "rest of the story."
ken

We didn't have a safety man when I assisted the crew in my terrritory. There was just the pilot, and the ground support guy to repair, and refuel. Most of the time this unit is used in areas where you cannot access easily or cannot get other equipment into the area. Swamps, and rugged areas come to mind. Walked power lines for 4 years when I did line clearing. Real fun when walking during fog, and working around 765 kva lines.