Tree vs. power line.

/ Tree vs. power line. #21  
Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Very often, if you have a tree that could fall and hit the power line, the power company would be happy to come out and take it down for you. They would rather roll a crew (or a subcontractor) than have a limb land on a line.

Aaron Z
Neighbor has a couple like that they refused to take out, even when the trimming crew came through. Said something like if it was over 4 feet away, they couldn't cut it. They are higher than the power line, and the tops are near the road center, but the bases are on the other side of the road from the power line.

Bruce

If its a primary line the utility is more apt to get involved. Had a 30" dead ash a wind strom had taken the top 3rd off, leaving one very large long limb about 32' up that extended over my neighbor's line to their house. The tree was marked for trimming in the spring, but by the time the line clearing crews came through in late summer the grapevines nearby were leafed out and the crew didn't see the paint. I called to get them back. The power company rep came out, looked at the tree, saw the limb and the paint, and informed me they wouldn't send the crew back to trim the limb or take down the tree because it wasn't a threat to a primary line.. The rep went as far as to tell me since I had identified it as a potential risk that I could be held liable for damages if it did fall and take something out on the way down.

/ Tree vs. power line. #22  
I kind of knew I wasn't alone but the group of us that will admit it is a lot smaller then the group of us that did it. :rolleyes:
I have never had a tree go against my intentions, I've just never been real good at expressing what my intentions are :rolleyes:

/ Tree vs. power line. #23  
Neighbor has a couple like that they refused to take out, even when the trimming crew came through. Said something like if it was over 4 feet away, they couldn't cut it. They are higher than the power line, and the tops are near the road center, but the bases are on the other side of the road from the power line.

Bruce

I've got a big pine that is leaning at about a 20 degree angle over a power line. It's going to go someday, but the power company won't touch it until it falls. I've probably should call the state regulators. They seem to listen to them.

/ Tree vs. power line. #24  
Since we burn 10 cords a year I cut a LOT of trees, many of them over 30" diameter at the cut. I have learned a few things:

1. Estimate the center of gravity of the tree by examining the canopy and large leaders and the lean using a plumb line - you can't fight gravity. There are limits to how much a hinge can do.

2. Always keep your wedges and hammer on your belt and get a wedge in as soon as there is room. This is one thing I like about larger trees - there is room for a wedge.

3. If there is any wind - wait.

4. When in doubt about the fall put in an anchored line rated for what you are doing. I use a throw line to pull a bull line at least 30' up into the tree then tension that rope using a large enough tree as an anchor. 250' of rope with a 11,000 lb break strength is only a few hundred dollars and well worth the money.

To me, my wedges were/are as important as the chainsaw. I think many who cut wood are a bit casual about them but they can save many a large pain in the butt. As wedges come in different lengths, it's a sin not to always carry several. Oh, and carry them on you so get a loggers belt of something similar.

/ Tree vs. power line. #25  
Oh, and carry them on you so get a loggers belt of something similar.

And something to drive them with. I had to hunt for a rock once.

:)

Bruce

/ Tree vs. power line.
I have never had a tree go against my intentions, I've just never been real good at expressing what my intentions are :rolleyes:
The problem is the ears on a maple tree are so small they don't hear all that well and just think that gravity is still the boss not having got the message about the hinges promotion.