Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi guys. Not sure if this qualifies to go in the Safety Forum, but whatever happened sure would have hurt if it happened directed toward someone's eyes.

Was sitting at a stoplight a few days ago. A transit bus (25 passenger sort) came off the light from the other direction and just as it got right beside me, it was like a diesel bomb had gone off. Large cloud of black smoke, big boom, and my brand new car was peppered with something that looked like a cross between soot and gravel. A few photos of some of the "splats" almost look like they had some sort of grid or screen pattern. They washed off with only very slight residue or damage to the clearcoat.

I guess this was a violent occurrence of diesel regeneration? I would have thought that a commercial bus (or any other diesel vehicle) would have its exhaust directed somewhere other than right out the SIDE!!

Anyway, if you have anything that does diesel regeneration, beware that it might be dangerous, especially to eyes!

- Jay
SANY1359 (1024x768).jpgSANY1369 (1024x768).jpg

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #2  
Wow. good thing it did not happen at the bus stop with people standing waiting to get on.
City busses get a lot of abuse. It is run and gun then idle then run and gun. Hope this is not the future of Tier-XX exhaust systems.

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #3  
Wouldn't want to have been on motorcycle when that happen. :eek:

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #4  
I run a JD Interim Tier IV diesel. It spits nothing out the exhaust during Regen. Something else was going on there.

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #5  
All I see when my NH 4.75 regenerates are small heat waves coming out the stack. No smoke, no soot no color at all.

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #6  
All I see when my NH 4.75 regenerates are small heat waves coming out the stack. No smoke, no soot no color at all.

Yep, I've never saw the JD smoke at all. Actually the inside of the exhaust stack is as clean as the day it arrived new. Only thing I've noticed is steam when first cranked on a cold day until the exhaust system heats up.

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #7  
I wonder if somethin didn't get sucked into the air intake, and run thru the engine and out the exhaust.? Maybe no air filter? I don't know.

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #8  
My thought would be an oil leak on the exhaust side of the turbo on the bus. It wouldn't take much for some partially cooked oil to clog a particulate filter on the exhaust.

Got a service advisory at work on a jd 6090 engine that would give out a loud bang and shoot tar balls out of the spark arrestor. The crank case vent had gotten clogged with ice in subzero temps. Caused pressure to build up inside the motor. Caused the oil leak in the turbo. Scared the living daylights out of some flow hands on an oil rig the first time it did it :D

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car
My thought would be an oil leak on the exhaust side of the turbo on the bus. It wouldn't take much for some partially cooked oil to clog a particulate filter on the exhaust. .... :D

That would explain why some of the splats had that grid pattern. Clumps of semi-solid half-burnt oil that were blasted off a particulate filter. I think you've nailed it!

- Jay

/ Violent Diesel Regeneration (?) Threw up on new car #10  
Have had lots of splats in the past from the non-emissions rated engines, but globs of black gunk instead of this. And both my Kubota CUT's, L3710 former, L5740 current (Tier 4 interim) put out enough black soot on start up to clear the home 40 of mosquitoes.