Bee attack fatality

/ Bee attack fatality #21  
As a rule I put the Bush Hog up after July 4th. I know that is not an option for some folks but it works for me. So far I've only been stung one time while mowing the lawn with my rear finish mower. Yellow Jackets and I don't get along.

/ Bee attack fatality #22  
I got nailed by some yellow jackets several years ago. Had dug up their nest and they were almighty pissed about it. I realized what was happening and tried to bail off the machine only to have the seat belt recoil me back in. Got stung three more times before I could punch the button and make a second attempt. I've now learned to be more careful, you kinda learn the pattern where the darn things like to live. Later I spotted another nest in time, I just drove the tire over the nest before they knew what was happening. Only had a dozen flying around and those I can deal with.

Found a large baldface nest several years ago. Didn't mess with that one and called an exterminator. Best $175 I ever spent. Couldn't imagine living down south. Guess there is an advantage to a hard frost after all.

/ Bee attack fatality #23  
We get whiteface hornets. They're OK as long as you don't move towards the nest too quickly. Watch out for them if you have willows in the field, a favorite place to hang their nest. They usually have scouts that protect the entrance like I see yellow jackets doing.

But when I'm out on the tractor (no cab), I always take a tall can of hornet and wasp spray with me. It will knock them right out of the air, yellow jackets too.

/ Bee attack fatality #24  
I started up my Kubota Friday night and backed it out of the barn when I noticed yellow jackets buzzing around me. Evidently in the 2 weeks since I ran that tractor, they had set up a nest up underneath between the loader risers. I started the tractor the next morning once I got a can of hornet spray and zapped them as they came out. Lucky in two weeks since they started the nest there were not that many to deal with.