ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #21  
The ROPS was clearly not up when the guy crashed. It's evident at 25 sec and at 1:47, or whatever other time was already cited. NO ROPS, never wear seatbelt. Rops UP, wear seatbelt on anything other than flat ground. Dew, wet grass, etc. are an accident waiting to happen with Z-turns.
That operator is a lucky guy his neck wasn't snapped, and people found him in time. Phew, not a good day for that guy and his company. OSHA should cite them for not using the ROPS though.

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #22  
When you say OSHA should site them (how many were on the mower) why would you site anyone other than operator.

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #23  
Hard to tell but looks like the ROPS was down?

I own a Deere ZTR and it was definitely down.
The only time I lower my ROPS is when I'm mowing under a small group (3) apples trees...otherwise the ROPS is up and I'm belted in...and none of my lawn is as steep as that slope in the linked video.

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #24  
When you say OSHA should site them (how many were on the mower) why would you site anyone other than operator.

OSHA would cite the company for not making sure the operator had the ROP up.

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #25  

CITE them, the company, not the sole operator. The company has responsibility to make the worker's workplace/equipment safe.

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #26  
CITE them, the company, not the sole operator. The company has responsibility to make the worker's workplace/equipment safe.
What do you do if the company policy is ROPS up and the employee disobeys?

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #27  
I own a Deere ZTR and it was definitely down.
The only time I lower my ROPS is when I'm mowing under a small group (3) apples trees...otherwise the ROPS is up and I'm belted in...and none of my lawn is as steep as that slope in the linked video.
I have a very similar situation as in the video. Grass that slopes down to a 4ft retaining wall. I go to my weedwacker or push mower to mow close to the wall. It is pretty scary when you start sliding on a hill. No steering and no stopping until you are basically flat. Once the wheels slip... it's hang on and wonder when you will stop.

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #28  
What do you do if the company policy is ROPS up and the employee disobeys?

First offense: flogging. Second offense: weld it shut. Third offense: no one gets to this stage....

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #29  
From the tracks and the mud on/in the tires it looks like the hill was really wet, too.

/ ZTR slides down hill and over wall, driver was saved- very lucky #30  
So if I hire someone and provide the proper equipment (seat belts and rops) I still have to supervise every minute?
Part of why I work alone to begin with.