Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #11  
Ouch! A table saw and jointer scare the he!! out of me. My dad got a kickback. We had just built an out feed table and the edge wasn't adjusted correctly. He has cutting a 1/2 sheet of plywood and the edge didn't clear the table. He reached back to lift it up. It kicked back and knocked him down and then hit a cabinet across the shop. Luckily all fingers still attached.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #12  
I stand 6'4" tall. My legs are 34 inches on the inseam, my table saw is just at crotch height. I was ripping a 2x12 lengthwise one day and the saw kicked the work back towards me. YES, you know where that wood hit me.:( I don't have to tell you. Now I stand to the side when I am ripping.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures
I noticed today I have a bruise on my sternum that I don't recall hitting. I wonder if the marker pen hit me there after hitting the saw.

I agree that I was complacent.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #14  
Best wishes on a speedy recovery and hopefully a lesson learned.

I've been a professional cabinetmaker/boatbuilder for 35 years. Still got all ten intact (knock on wood) but I did suffer a table saw injury roughly 20 years ago, from 40' away. I was doing a floor layout for a circular staircase in one part of the shop while one of my guys was ripping 1/2" square maple drawer runners on he 5HP unisaw in the machine room. He didn't push one of the cut pieces all the way through the danger area so the blade caught it and sent it like a rocket through the open door and hit me square in the forehead as I was bending over to mark a riser. Knocked me out for about a minute, blood pouring from my head. had a concussion for several weeks and I still have a perfect 1/2" square scar above my left eye. Broke my glasses in half. Doc said I was very lucky, one inch lower and it would have skewered my skull through my eye socket. Thinking about that still freaks me out.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #15  
GP, that hurts just looking at it.

Today I was going to use my table saw for a "Carry All" 3 point build. After getting all the 2 x 12 etc & 2 x 6 used lumber cleaned up, I was tired.

Thus I delayed doing the table saw work. I'm too old to work when tired.....but thanks y'all for the reminder tips on what not to do.

Cheers Anyhow

Mike

Yes, don't work with saws when your tired. Good call.

Well, I think I learned a lesson that I'll never forget.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #18  
Hope you feel better and they get you all back together good as new.
Accidents happen and it is good when you post things like this so we can all learn from it. I will remember this next time I am using our saw.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #19  
While I have had my share of close calls never a blade cut.

What I found to be the most dangerous was ripping with a radial arm saw. More the a few times I received a board via kickback in my belly.
Folks laughed when I'd rip standing off to the side but changed their tune when a board would shoot clear across the shop.

I've a few bruises and nicks but never from a direct blade contact.
I do use scraps as pushers when working in close.

Glad you are doing OK and sure you'll not suffer serious consequences.

Hope you feel better and they get you all back together good as new.
Accidents happen and it is good when you post things like this so we can all learn from it. I will remember this next time I am using our saw.

Thanks. That's why we post our stupidity for all to see-- to try to help others