Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #21  
   / Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #22  
Sorry about your boo-boo. When TBNers say it didn't happen unless there are pictures, I think you took that very literal. Yuck.

Quite a few years ago I was cutting 1/3s about a foot long for some cabinetry. Not needing any hold down or push sticks, ever now and then my 10" table saw would send it sailing straight back about thirty feet. One day my wife wanted to see what I was doing so she proceeded to stand right in back of me in the line of fire ( I always stood off to the side). I saw that and I clued her in and seeing the error of my foolishness, I changed my practice.

A few years ago I say a table saw that as soon as ant meat touches the blade, the blade locks up thereby preventing any cuts. Expensive but they work.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #23  
As you realize you are very fortunate to still have the most of your full thumb so please build yourself at least one of these push shoes and use normal operating procedures.

To make construction simple cut a strip that will be designated as shoe heal material. If replacement is ever needed saw the old heal off. Heel is glued on with Elmer's rather than cutting it out.

If you know of anyone that truly can't afford a push shoe I'll make them one free of charge.

Attachments

• push stick shoe 2015.jpg
    push stick shoe 2015.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 181
   / Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #24  
The shoe is the best design, much, much better than a push stick IMO. I didn't bother with the finger cut out, Didn't like my fingers being "trapped" in the hole, but either way it works great.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures
As you realize you are very fortunate to still have the most of your full thumb so please build yourself at least one of these push shoes and use normal operating procedures.

To make construction simple cut a strip that will be designated as shoe heal material. If replacement is ever needed saw the old heal off. Heel is glued on with Elmer's rather than cutting it out.

If you know of anyone that truly can't afford a push shoe I'll make them one free of charge.

Are you saying that the heel is glued on when you first make it or only when the heel needs replacing?
If glued on from the start, why?

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures
I remember seeing this saw stop technology sometime in the past and have been thinking about it today but I couldn't remember where I first heard of it.

Does anyone know if something like this is available as a retrofit on old saws?

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #27  
easier to make, but not critical. You can cut it in at first and then glue on replacements. I just make a new one. They are made from scrap.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #28  
I remember seeing this saw stop technology sometime in the past and have been thinking about it today but I couldn't remember where I first heard of it.

Does anyone know if something like this is available as a retrofit on old saws?

I "think" you have to buy the full saw. Too tricky/liability issue with "by owner" installations. They make several models. have not seen it as an add-on.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #29  
Are you saying that the heel is glued on when you first make it or only when the heel needs replacing?
If you'll make two, one of each method, I believe you'll quickly see why the heel is always glued on rather than cutting out.

But of course if you need one immediately by all means cut it out rather than waiting an hour or two for glue to dry.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #30  
If you'll make two, one of each method, I believe you'll quickly see why the heel is always glued on rather than cutting out.

But of course if you need one immediately by all means cut it out rather than waiting an hour or two for glue to dry.

The thin shoe pictured is masonite and yes, always cut out. I keep a couple of differing thickness and heal depths at both of my saws.