Splitter Reminder.

/ Splitter Reminder. #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Every now and then you need a wake up call. got mine the other day when I've got the 27 ton splitter in vertical mode and I'm in "high production"- one hand on the handle the other rotating the log-once it's at a manageable size. Well in a nanosecond my thumb was where it shouldn't be- Picture is worth a thousand words-good thing my glove had slipped enough

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 624
   / Splitter Reminder. #2  
Yikes! Glad there is no blood! That's one tool you will be careful with from now on?

/ Splitter Reminder. #3  
I keep reminding myself not to get complacent or too much in a hurry around equipment...

Close call and one you will never forget... my splitter runs at half throttle mostly because I like it to be a little slower.

My grandfather was in his 80's and always splitting wood by hand... they heat with a wood fired boiler in the basement.

A neighbor brought over his splitter for Grandfather to try... and it was very old in that forward and reverse did not require constant pressure... just shifting the lever.

My Grandfather lost three fingers between his thumb and pinky...

/ Splitter Reminder. #4  
Every now and then you need a wake up call. got mine the other day when I've got the 27 ton splitter in vertical mode and I'm in "high production"- one hand on the handle the other rotating the log-once it's at a manageable size. Well in a nanosecond my thumb was where it shouldn't be- Picture is worth a thousand words-good thing my glove had slipped enough
Did you buy a lottery ticket? You are one lucky guy.

/ Splitter Reminder. #5  
I saw that happen the first time I was around a splitter. I have never seen a person take a glove off so fast in my life, he had to see if he still had any fingers. I have remember that and the rule I came up with for me is, NEVER put any part of your hand on the end of the log when it is on the splitter. I don't want to deal with what you did or worse. Ed

/ Splitter Reminder. #6  
I saw that happen the first time I was around a splitter. I have never seen a person take a glove off so fast in my life, he had to see if he still had any fingers. I have remember that and the rule I came up with for me is, NEVER put any part of your hand on the end of the log when it is on the splitter. I don't want to deal with what you did or worse. Ed
My rule is the same except for the hand. Never put any part of your body on the wood when the splitter is running.

/ Splitter Reminder. #7  
When it comes to splitters I prefer slow even though it takes more time. But you still need to be diligent.

/ Splitter Reminder. #8  
Scary. My splitter runs slow, which is good, especially as I engage in the unsafe (but necessary) practice of having my hand on the log to keep it in position. I do try to keep it away from the wedge and off the log once I have contact. Also, the lever needs constant pressure to come forward, first reaction is to let go if something starts to go wrong.

/ Splitter Reminder. #9  
Yikes, that was close. I never put my hand on top of the wood while splitting. I hold it on the side.

/ Splitter Reminder. #10  
Last year I had my chainsaw cut though my jeans and not touch my skin. Second time in my life that it happened. Both times on a kickback. I now have a decent pair of chaps as third time is a charm.