Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #1  

Theowegian

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
Now dont laugh, Im serious....

Im just wondering about these modern CUTs...

Do the NH, Kubota, JD, etc all shut down the engine when the operator unfastens the seat belt or stands up from the operators seat?
Im wondering when you attach the rear implements or disconnect the loader, etc, do you have to shut down the tractor or can it stay running?

I have a lawn mower that has a safety seat switch and I cannot even dismount the lawn tractor when its running, even if the mower is disengaged. I find that somewhat annoying due to a lot of startups with those safety switches. The old diesels liked to stay running once started are the new diesels the same?

THanks.
dwight

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #2  
For the most part the answer is YES it does shut down.

There are ways to keep it running when you leave the seat (engage parking brake, disengage pto, gear to neutral), but when you attach an implement you really should shut it down.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #3  
I have a 2000 Kubota L3710 HST, it doesn't shut down if I leave the seat. And I don't have to be in the seat to start it, it does need to be in neutral with the PTO's disengaged.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #4  
on my 1998 b2400 the tractor will stay running when u leave the seat, would be a pain if it shut down every time i needed to get off for 20 sec., does need to be in netural, pto dis engages and clutch depressed to start it, but u do not have to be in the seat. on my sears gt u can also exit the seat when it is running UNLESS the electric clutch is engaged.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #5  
i cant believe they would design a tractor that you couldnt leave the pto running and not be in the seat, i mean what if you were going to run a pto generator, do they expect ya to sit there while your using it, or what about things like a silage blower,irigation pump,grain auger, elevator, i would like to find the engineering idiot that designed that feature.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #6  
Hi
just look around, those engineers are all around us, you see it in most everything you buy today. They have to make it Idiot proof so the mfg. don't get sued.

Charlie

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #7  
markct . . . just a guess, but with the small CUTs on the market and the non-farm people who buy them (guys like me who move to the country) we don't run the equipment you are talking about, and we can barely even figure out what you are talking about, but all that said, I would suggest that the small CUTs are not powerful enough to run much of that stuff anyway. I know most PTO generators require more horsepower than the typical small CUT, can't say what the others need for power because I simply have no clue.

I would also suspect that the tractors more oriented toward real agricultural duties probably can do lots of things that the CUTs won't do. I love to work on antique tractors and restore Olivers when I get the time, I can tell you that you can do all sorts of dangerous things with the old stuff!

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #8  
" cant believe they would design a tractor that you couldnt leave the pto running and not be in the seat"

If most folks look in their tractor manuals, they'll probably find a procedure to allow the tractor to run while off the seat.

On my 670, you got to flip the seat forward, prop a bracket up, pull the seat interlock switch to the "up"position, then lower the seat on the bracket. I'd have to read it again, but I think the range selector must be in Neutral and the gearshift in 1st or 2nd gear (to keep the transmission lubricated while the PTO is running). This is a gear transmission, BTW.

I've never done this as I've no implements to operate while I'm off the tractor.
As Bob Skula wrote...if you're rigging an implement to the PTO, you really want that tractor shut down...and the key in your pocket. If someone inadvertently hits the key while you're hooking up...you're dead or severely injured at best.
However, as mentioned, if folks review their manuals, most likely they'll find a procedure to run the tractor/PTO while off the seat.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( " However, as mentioned, if folks review their manuals," )</font>

That is the part that most people don't ever do until the time that they get hurt and then they want to know what went wrong. If all else fails read the manual. I once came across a manual that on the inside cover page made a comment, that read something to the effect "now that you have looked at all the parts and can't figure it out, here is how it goes together"....... "step 1......." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was back in the 1960's when you could get away with something like that for a just a laugh and not get sued. If I remember correctly, it was for a garage door operator. I think that I will have to look for that manual..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #10  
Roy, Boy, that sound like a real PITA if you ask me! I would by-pass any switch that would stop the tractor if I stood up! Heck I have to stand up just to adjust every now and then /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif (I think most men know what I mean) I hop on and off of my tractor with it running and with the pto going when I'm mowing. Just leave the rpm's up and hop off to move what ever the kids leave in the yard. It would be take twice as long to cut the grass if I had to stop and start the tractor everytime I hopped off.