NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P)

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #21  
yeh that limb was too big. should have cut it up more. Not safe to try to put something that big in and not good on the equipment really. That is one heck of a chipper. I don't remember ours being that fast. Maybe it was but seemed to take longer to feed through than that.

That's what I remember the vermeer1600a to be like, pretty much exactly. It sure made chips, but man what a nightmare...

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #22  
Makes me glad that mine has nice slow hydraulic feed rollers and a nice big safety bar that reverses the feed rollers when it's hit. And a cutting disk with a little more leisurely chipping rate than that old Wayne drum!

Chipper2.JPG

- Jay

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #23  
Watch this youtube video.... around 2:20 you'll see some pretty hairy stuff... the branch won't go in, its over his head and body, he keeps futsing with it and finally gets it to go... I wouldn't use this machine nor would I let an employee use it. Just too dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL0JkG41IRs

Here's a link to an OSHA page about woodchipper safety. Good read...
https://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib041608.html

Well after watching that video, it makes more sense how he got pulled into the machine now. Holy Cow! Those things are really scary.

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #25  
Think they were gonna pay him cash under the table, until the accident, so they called him a sub?

More likely probably brought in through a temp agency...so the boy worked for the agency as a subcontractor to the tree trimming company.

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #26  
I have a pto driven Wallenstein BX62S. The first thing I did - with the unit unconnected to the tractor - was see if I could reach the cutting blades with my feet still on the ground. I'm about a foot and a half short of getting near the blades. I only chip Ponderosa pines but am still VERY careful to not get tangled when feeding the unit.

Since I'm always by myself when chipping - it definitely would not be a good thing to become intimately involved with my chipper.

/ NC teenager killed in incident with wood chipper (C&P) #27  
Yes very sad to hear. We have a BC1000 and it can be a very dangerous tool. From hearing the first reports about the accident I thought about my son helping me operate the machine and remember how I reinforced the danger.
Not knowing the details of what instruction was given it's had to draw any conclusions. Just please be careful to inform people that help you or work for you of how dangerous ALL the equipment is that we have no matter if it's a PTO drive shaft or a Wood Chipper Please instruct those not familiar with the operations as to the DANGER no matter how petty is is to us. We (myself included) sometimes don't realize just how precious life is or how fast it can be lost.