Overhead Door Self Activation

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Couple of years ago I got tired of shoveling snow away from barn swing doors so I replaced with an OH with operator. Today I'm backing Deere out while listening to tunes on iPhone-Iheart radio. I'm paying attention to rear tires at door jams when I hear a crash, look forward and see door closing-just misses cab but hits Exhaust- bending it and door panel.

On line with Deere parts-elbow 197 bucks-shocker huh?- plus at least one fiberglass door panel is shot. Never had this operator open or close because of a "mystery signal" but for sure I will not be listening to iPhone in the future while traversing door.

Anyone have any similar experience with phones??

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #2  
Do you have the sensors to prevent closure of door installed when something blocks the signal.
if so the door should of stopped and returned to top.
Wouldn't think a I tunes song to have the control signals for opener to operate.
I have had my remote control to open/close door when in pocket of coat and moving touches the control button.
ken

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #3  
I don't think a cell phone could trigger an opener, it should be a totally different range of frequencies. We'd hear about it a whole lot if that were the case -- think of all the people with cell phones and garage door openers.

Ken, I have done the same thing with various remotes in my pockets, for door openers, cars, boat lift, etc, and I am slowly learning NOT to put remotes in my pants pockets when I am working. Had a few close calls.

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #4  
More likely is that a roller got in a bind and the opener reversed itself, the same way they will reverse when striking an object while lowering.

/ Overhead Door Self Activation
Guys- this was the "perfect storm" Dorm had been open for a few minutes before I moved machine. As I'm backing out rear tires cleared the low mounted safety beam-about 8" off floor. Apparently door starts moving (I'm looking behind me) and the door clears the cab roof and then is dropping between windshield and stack when bottom door panel snags the exhaust- and that contact stops the door but not before it bends the bottom panel and the exhaust pipe and pulls the rollers out of the track.

And I have played that IHeart radio on my IPhone in the barn while working plenty of times without incident.

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #6  
I do not put my remote in my pocket for that reason. I leave it on the seat or visor until well away from the shop.
I have had my neighbour tell me he closed the door on the shop after it had been left open while we were away for the weekend.

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #7  
You guys are missing it. The OP said he thinks his PHONE triggered the door, NOT a remote in his pocket.
I seriously doubt your phone could have triggered the door. I'd have the people who installed the door operator take a look and make sure it is fully functional. I did have a problem with one of my chain driven openers that caused the door to not open all the way. I found it to be a lack of lube on the chain. The chain had seized up somewhat near the opener and would stop from complete retraction. No matter what it's an electromechanical device, and they like anything else can screw up.

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #8  
I like DT86's theory...query here...how well balanced was the door before this incident? And do you have a wired or wireless entry keypad outside of the building? Had a short in the wired keypad for my '89 vintage Stanley opener and a short would trigger false opening and/or closing cycles. It drove me nuts trying to find the problem.

And...one more thing...do you have a Chamberlain opener plus the MyQ app on your phone, as we do on our Iphones and control two overhead doors? IF SO, your phone could have triggered the closing.

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #9  
Not saying that this is your problem, but a decade or so ago my parents had the same problem. Their garage would open and close on it's own with no one around. Come to find out that 2 doors down the street a neighbor's microwave oven would trigger their opener. How they figured it out I don't know. How they fixed the problem , I don't remember. Hopefully a brand new opener would be designed not to react to such a signal. JP

/ Overhead Door Self Activation #10  
the eyes on the bottom might not have prevented this even if a tire were parked blocking the beam.

All the doors I have had that have the eyes, they can be overridden by HOLDING the close button. But the second you let off, if the beam is blocked, the door will go up. So whatever was telling the door to close, could have been a constant signal, thus the safety eyes are rendered usless.