Recovery point metal thick enough?

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350

Had to drill this to fit into my truck's receiver. There's still 7/16" behind the pin at the thinnest point. Solid 2x2 stock. Pin is 5/8", shackle's 3/4", strap's rated for 27,000lbs, truck is 9,200lbs, plus 1,000lb plow, plus 190lb frenchman, plus, plus, plus. The lower one I bought today at Princess Auto thinking it would work, but had the same problem. Figured I'd drill the old one and return the new. Anyway, what do you think? Use it or get something else?

Thanks.

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #2  
Seems like your receiver is very shallow. Is there an obstruction preventing it from going further in?

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #3  
If you break it, you have bigger problems than a broken hitch.

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #4  
I think you will be fine. I would expect the pin to shear first.

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #5  
Do you weld? Put a pin in the unused hole, cut it flush and put a spot of weld on it to keep it in place when you remove it.

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #6  
Do you weld? Put a pin in the unused hole, cut it flush and put a spot of weld on it to keep it in place when you remove it.
What would be the point of this?

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #8  
   / Recovery point metal thick enough? #9  
I think you would tear the holes in the receiver before the insert tearing out the back. Here is mine, 2x2 solid stainless.
clevis hitch 001_1.JPG

/ Recovery point metal thick enough? #10  
He has to use the back hole. He drilled the back hole because the other hole didn't allow enough clearance.

Ok. I thought he was using the front hole. That back hole had a lot of meat left behind it.