Log splitter injury (no pics)

/ Log splitter injury (no pics) #21  
My uncle got careless in his old age and lost a finger cleaning out the discharge on his riding mower. The Doc sewed it back on and the next year he reached down and pulled on a V belt that was slipping and lost the same finger. He said he should have just left it off the first time and saved the extra pain. One thing about Uncle Harry, I never in all the years I knew him saw him get excited about anything, even loosing a finger, twice. Ed

/ Log splitter injury (no pics)
Saw doc this morning, and while I am not out of the woods yet, so far things are progressing OK and no infection. Knock on wood. They took out one stitch on the pad of the finger to help it drain, and I got a smaller bandage job open at the tip to let things breathe a little better. Have another appt on Thursday.

The pain now is steady and medium, but with intense twinges coming in spurts here and there as things mend. For the second night in a row the pain is noticeably is worse at the end of the day. I woke up from a short nap this afternoon with intense pain and figured I must have hit the finger or maybe it wasn't elevated enough, but it calmed down very quickly.

Aside from the medical complications and risks, this experience has made me feel vulnerable as I look around and see all the chores/responsibilities that can't be done by a one-handed man. Some of it will just have to wait or get skipped, though my wife can handle the important stuff (in addition to being a busy full time mom, god bless her). Makes me think I will need to simplify our country life as we get older or ever have really serious medical issues.

/ Log splitter injury (no pics) #25  
Sorry about your injury. Thanks for the safety reminder.

Having cut through 2/3 of the tip of my thumb last November, I can almost literally feel your pain.

In my case they cautioned me against using ice because it reduces blood flow which for me was questionable.

Good luck with your healing and recovery.

/ Log splitter injury (no pics) #27  
I have very little medical training... mostly just what I have picked up being around Doctors and Nurses for 24 years...

Infection is dead serious stuff... it can be hard for active people to let nature take it's course... but this is imperative as is keeping the area clean and out of harms way.

The pain at the end of the day has a lot to do with being upright and having your hand/finger below the elevation of your heart...

With a little luck and the right care... you could very well be good or almost as good as new...

Keep it clean and sterile and use plenty of whatever antibiotic ointment or similar the Doc has prescribed.

If you are taking any opioid painkillers the effects of constipation are real... even something like Benefiber will help...

/ Log splitter injury (no pics) #28  
Saw doc this morning, and while I am not out of the woods yet, so far things are progressing OK and no infection. Knock on wood. They took out one stitch on the pad of the finger to help it drain, and I got a smaller bandage job open at the tip to let things breathe a little better. Have another appt on Thursday.

The pain now is steady and medium, but with intense twinges coming in spurts here and there as things mend. For the second night in a row the pain is noticeably is worse at the end of the day. I woke up from a short nap this afternoon with intense pain and figured I must have hit the finger or maybe it wasn't elevated enough, but it calmed down very quickly.

Aside from the medical complications and risks, this experience has made me feel vulnerable as I look around and see all the chores/responsibilities that can't be done by a one-handed man. Some of it will just have to wait or get skipped, though my wife can handle the important stuff (in addition to being a busy full time mom, god bless her). Makes me think I will need to simplify our country life as we get older or ever have really serious medical issues.

Hi S219,

Glad to hear you're moving along in the correct direction!

Be careful about how you are going about doing things one-handed, because that activity is often why the pain is worse as the day goes on, even when you are not using the injured limb at all.

Being vigilant about keeping it elevated above your heart helps to reduce the swelling and throbbing, something that falls by the wayside once the zzzz's come, which may be why you're waking in pain.

Sometimes the better part of valor is sleeping in the recliner so that you can keep it elevated by using a pillow to prop it up.

Take this time and rest- remember you only have so much reserve and right now your body is trying to use those to heal you, and if you don't limit yourself now, that can take longer, and the risk for poor/non-healing is higher.

Speaking of simplifying, because we live in the NE, we are seriously considering switching over to coal to save on the kinds of potentially injurious activities that come along with wood burning for heat.

God bless,
Thomas

Ultrarunner- I guess I coulda just said "Ditto", Except I am both a patient and a medical professional, so now your comments are confirmed.

Except that Miralax [store brand] or any senna product is a better laxative choice- opioids constipate by slowing bowel activity, and stimulants do better than fiber- which requires increased moisture to work, and if it sits too long in the bowels turns the mud to bricks [so to speak].

Last edited:
   / Log splitter injury (no pics) #29  
Ouch. Had one of my fingers crushed when I was a kid changing tires on a dump truck. Funny how it doesn't really hurt until you realize what you did, LOL.

I have a retired neighbor that likes to come over and help me split wood, and this is one of the reason's I don't like it. He likes to go as fast as he can and a few times I had to reprimand him because he'd be pulling the lever before I even got my hands off the block.

/ Log splitter injury (no pics)
Appreciate the medical advice guys -- it makes sense and I will work harder to keep that left hand elevated. That clearly has a very direct effect. I have limited my activity to about the minimum -- mainly just sitting around watching TV -- which is hard to do for me. But right now nothing else really needs priority, or is worth messing with anyhow.