Portable gas grill disaster

/ Portable gas grill disaster #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
Had a disaster night before last. About 2am went out to cook some tomiles. Lit the little grill. When I lit it, didn't look quite right. Then flames started coming out the bottom & then the back of the lid, big flames. Set a wast basket on fire, it was about 2 feet away. Beer cans started melting in a bucket about a foot away. Set the railing on fire & some of the uprights.

Luckily there was a hose that I could reach it with, Started to turn off the tank & it went off again. Lot more spraying & I felt safe reaching over to turn it off.
Never again will I have a tank that I can't reach easy.

The Regulator let go internally & full tank pressure was going to the burner

It was a Better Homes & Gardens stainless about 4 months old.

Last edited:
   / Portable gas grill disaster #2  
That's one I've haven't heard of before, sound scary as all get out. Glad you didn't burn the house down.
I usually have the opposite problem with the cheap regulators that come with grills and stoves, the safety device that limits the amount of gas allowed through if a burner valve is on when you turn on the tank valve, will trip even though the burner valves are off. It's irritating but far more preferable than what you went through. Glad you are safe and did not get injured.

/ Portable gas grill disaster #3  
Glad you came out of that OK Crash..Neighbor had one of the far east grilles with a magnesium alloy lid that lit up and nearly burned his house down...The grill maker happily paid for the damage.

/ Portable gas grill disaster #5  
I like your gun over the flag!

It's actually amazing how few gas grill accidents there are when you think about it.

/ Portable gas grill disaster #6  
Zowie!! You are truly fortunate. You did not get burned and it did not explode. My B-B-Q, just this winter, went to BBQ heaven. Mine has always been on the porch, right under the house eves. I think I'll move the location for a new one out into the yard. A bit less convenient but a lot safer location.

/ Portable gas grill disaster #7  
One more reason to be glad I have a natural gas grille. At least if anything happens all that's feeding it is household pressure. And no compressed gas tanks to deal with.

/ Portable gas grill disaster #8  
I do security inspections and one part of my job is to inspect staff quarters. Canadian code required gas fired appliances (BBQs being one of them) to be stored at least 1 m (40") from a building and used 3 m (10 ft) from a building and they should never be lit under an overhang. I don't know how many inspections I've done where I see BBQs and tanks stored in garages with tenants telling me they light them up in the garage as well. Not only is there a danger from an out of control fire, if there's a leak propane, being heavier than air, could seep into the garage drain or through cracks. I had a good friend who lost his two kids due to a natural gas explosion. Contractors were digging in the front yard when they snagged the natural gas line. They didn't realize what happened and, overnight, gas seeped into the basement where some spark set off an explosion. My friend and his wife woke up in the front yard but both their kids were killed. Even though it was a natural gas explosion, not propane, I really don't trust propane anywhere near my home.

/ Portable gas grill disaster #9  
Good thing a water hose was handy to cool things down so you could get to the valve. Many commercial operations will have a dedicated spray system to keep tanks cold. It also makes one think of plug valves or 1/4 turn valves for quick operation that could even be done with a stick or something similar.

/ Portable gas grill disaster #10  
Yeow Crash! Glad you are ok and didn't catch the house on fire. Are you sure the Devil didn't make a visit to you? Maybe for some of those hot tomalies? :eek: