Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #2  
   / Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #3  
Sorry to hear about the tragedy. Like most firearms "accidents" there is usually more than one safety rule violated/ignored at a time that is the root cause of these things. The fire caused the loss of the safety screens, they were not replaced because they cost money. Wear caused the loss of the original skid steer type tires, they were not replaced with proper tires because of cost. He used junk truck tires instead. He was very aware of the danger as he had warned other family members. When one of the junk tires blew, the normal human reaction is to look and see what happened. Of course he had his foot on the lift control valve and he should not have. If any of the unfortunate chain of events had not taken place, he would be alive and well.

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #4  
Is there a statute of imitations on "tragedy'? That incident happened in 2001
Perhaps it is a very rare occurrence.

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #5  
Is there a statute of imitations on "tragedy'? That incident happened in 2001
Perhaps it is a very rare occurrence.

Don't think the date is relevant, I can certainly see how this could happen on a SS when the safety stuff is gone...Not sure how one of these would act with truck tires either...Horrible thing that happened here but sadly this guy did almost everything wrong on this machine.

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #6  
I've seen videos on TV, Dirty Jobs, where farmers have removed the cab completely because of low clearance in barns. I've wondered if OHSA ever visits to follow up after one of these shows airs.

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #7  
Growing up, my best friend's brother-in-law got killed in a skid steer accident. Apparently he got pinched by the bucket and died of internal injuries while being transported to the hospital by helicopter. Left a wife and 4 little kids. Gotta keep your wits about you operating any piece of equipment, be it a paring knife or heavy equipment. Be careful out there.

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #8  
Zero sympathy for somebody with such a wanton disregard for safety and an ego that believed he was smart and fast enough to out think and work around hazards .

The cost of funeral flowers and lunch at the wake would have covered the cost of real tires, a seat switch and side screens .

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #9  
Zero sympathy for somebody with such a wanton disregard for safety and an ego that believed he was smart and fast enough to out think and work around hazards . The cost of funeral flowers and lunch at the wake would have covered the cost of real tires, a seat switch and side screens .
An old co-worker has a saying when cost of safety comes up. "It's cheaper than a coffin"

/ Skidsteer modification leads to farmers death #10  
Sadly, this happened to the brother of a guy I knew. Similar story, as the roll cage had been removed in order to be low enough to be used in a hog farrowing building with a low roof. A terrible tragedy......