Building a ROPS

/ Building a ROPS #1  

cperky

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025r with 120r front end loader, Hustler zero turn mower
I recently purchased a 92 model M-F 1140 but the ROPS was missing. I have had no Luck Finding The ROPS from the dealer or salvage. I have decided to let the local fab shop build me a ROPS. Any suggestions as to material I should request(thickness, square or round tube ). How High Above my head should the bar extend?? The seat belt and all other safety equipment are still on the tractor the only missing part is the actual Roll Bar. The Tractor wight is about 2600 lbs

/ Building a ROPS
Yep, gave them a try also with no luck , any suggestions on manufacture specs?

/ Building a ROPS #4  
The last one that I say seemed to have the same size or about the same size as my MF 1440. If you want, I can get some measurements tomorrow for you.

/ Building a ROPS
Hey Jerry,
That would be great I would really appreciate it

/ Building a ROPS #6  
Look around your area to see if there is anyone that builds midget race cars. These guys really have a handle on how to build a good steel safety cage. There is a local fellow that does it near here in CT that has a bender that bends square steel tubing and then he welds everything together. I have seen some of his work before and after a crash. The cars always stay together in the passenger compartment, but the suspension takes a beating. As an alternative, I think that I would try to buy a used one and modify the mountings to work on your tractor rather than build from scratch. That way, you are assured that the basic steel is the correct size and strength. It probably will be less expensive also.

/ Building a ROPS #7  
I stumbled across a web site not long ago that listed manufacturers of ROPS for older tractors. It had a pull down menu where you could select your tractor make and model. It would then give you a list of about 4 or 5 manufacturers that you could select to see if they provided ROPS for your paticular model. The only problem is I can't find it again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Maybe with a little searching you might find it.

/ Building a ROPS #8  
I recently was reading some accident reports that I found listed somewhere, but I can't remember where.

One accident involved a young man who was working with his grandfather. The tractor back flipped, the rops failed, and the boy was killed.

The ROPS was added by the family, after buying the tractor used. THe ROPS itself did not really fail, it was the way they attached it to the tractor. The did not put bolts in all the points were bolts were required. So the tractor housing snapped, and the ROPS folded forward and the boy was crushed.

THe message here is to be sure the ROPS you make is not only strong on its own, but also attached to the tractor properly so it will not break away when called to protect you.

Just in case you had not thought about this aspect... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Building a ROPS #9  
This is not the <font color="blue"> web page </font> I remember, but it is similar. However, no one seems to list a ROPS for an 1140. Some have 1130, 1135, 1150, & 1155. But they all skip 1140. You might contact some of the manufacturers and see if they are available.

/ Building a ROPS #10  
And here's what it says about MF's:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( AGCO Corporation
AGCO Corporation
4205 River Green Parkway
Duluth, GA 30096-2568

Ordering procedure:
AGCO Corporation supplies ROPS for Massey Ferguson through its dealer network. Contact your local Massey Ferguson dealer to order a ROPS for your tractor.

AGCO Corporation states that all ROPS comply with applicable OSHA, SAE, ASAE, and CSA standards when properly installed with seat belts.

Prices do not include freight or installation. Kits include seat belt and mounting hardware. Always wear a seat belt with ROPS; do not wear a seat belt without ROPS.

For information about the availability of ROPS for older tractors contact your local dealer or the Technical Customer Service Department, AGCO Parts Division, 630-406-3376.

For information about the availability of ROPS for older tractors contact your local dealer or the Technical Customer Service Dept., AGCO Parts Division, 630-406-3376.
)</font>