Sad day in our neighborhood

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #11  
Had a neighbor that had the same thing happen to him. He was back on the farm when it happened. It tore all of his clothes of and took his private parts too. He was able to find a feed sack and wrap it around his middle and walk across the high way to his house. He lived about a year. I have never forgotten that. We need to always be careful. So many things can do so much harm if we forget. Ed

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #12  
If it is of any help, I tie my pant legs bottoms to my boot tops with a small cord. That way they don't get caught on "things". I also cut the hammer loop off of any pants or coveralls, so that loop doesn't lasso a control handle as I enter or exit the seat.

Sorry about your neighbor..cat fever.. and "heads up" out there folks.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #13  
Many years ago I had my property logged off. Semi loaded with logs got stuck and the guy fired up his huge articulating skidder for me to drive and pull the log truck out. It went well. So I drive this monster over and park it and get up to get out. Leave it running because I don't know where he wants it parked. As I lower myself down the hammer loop on my Carharts catches on a lever and this darn thing starts to articulate. I can see that if things don't change REAL SOON I'm going to be squashed between the front/rear tire as the monster continues to articulate and the gap closes up. I pulled a muscle in my upper leg and tore the hammer loop loose on the Carharts but by golly I didn't get caught between the tires.

I was so darn scared that I almost broke down & cried when I finally got down. That's as close as I ever want to get to "the end".

/ Sad day in our neighborhood
Honestly, I think if a guy farms all his life and has all his fingers, toes, arms, legs at the end, he can call life a success. I've come close to bad things happening to many times so I really pay attention to what I'm doing, most of the time.:D

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #15  
Wow, sorry to hear this. A good lesson to try and be careful. Long road ahead for this poor guy!! Thoughts to him and his family.

This sure does make me feel better about pinching my finger yesterday. As I was sliding it into the bucket of my tractor from my pickup bed, I got my index finger wedged. Oddly enough, as I was setting it down, it was reverse pressure so I pulled up and it squeezed more.

If I would of dropped it, I think my finger would of ripped off. So using my foot to push down on it I slid my finger out. Looooooong 3 seconds of pain.... Finally feeling somewhat better today (about 90%).

Well, I hope your friend and neighbor has a speedy recovery !

/ Sad day in our neighborhood
Wow, sorry to hear this. A good lesson to try and be careful. Long road ahead for this poor guy!! Thoughts to him and his family.

This sure does make me feel better about pinching my finger yesterday. As I was sliding it into the bucket of my tractor from my pickup bed, I got my index finger wedged. Oddly enough, as I was setting it down, it was reverse pressure so I pulled up and it squeezed more.

If I would of dropped it, I think my finger would of ripped off. So using my foot to push down on it I slid my finger out. Looooooong 3 seconds of pain.... Finally feeling somewhat better today (about 90%).

Well, I hope your friend and neighbor has a speedy recovery !

I think he'll be the type that, when comparing scars, he'll pull up his pant leg and smile knowing he won the scar contest.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #17  
I think he'll be the type that, when comparing scars, he'll pull up his pant leg and smile knowing he won the scar contest.

That's really good to hear.... People who always look for the silver lining are the ones I want to grow up to be like. It makes life that much better when the glass is half full

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #18  
Just thinking, isn't that plastic shield around the drive shaft supposed to be attached to the frame so as not to be turning? Have seen many operators with the shield turning just like the shaft.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #19  
Just thinking, isn't that plastic shield around the drive shaft supposed to be attached to the frame so as not to be turning? Have seen many operators with the shield turning just like the shaft.

Yes, mine had a short, light weight chain to hold it from turning. However, even if it is turning, if it's in good condition, you could grab that shield with your hand and stop it from turning. I've done that, but don't recommend it.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #20  
Honestly, I think if a guy farms all his life and has all his fingers, toes, arms, legs at the end, he can call life a success. I've come close to bad things happening to many times so I really pay attention to what I'm doing, most of the time.:D

Long ago, I visited a farm-region scrap yard looking for something. The owner didn't know if he had anything that would work for me or not. He asked to see my hands. Puzzled, I showed him. He then said I could go out back and look around on my own. I asked him about it afterwards. He said that is how he checks to see whether or not you are a careful person. After that, I could just catch his attention so he knew I was there, then go in back to look for things.

Bruce