Sad day in our neighborhood

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #41  
You're supposed to grease the PTO U-joints?
:stirthepot:

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #42  
You're supposed to grease the PTO U-joints?
:stirthepot:

It is totally optional. Grease or not grease, it is all up to you. AND it is directly related to how long you would like them to last. When you take apart one that hasn't been greased and the needle bearings fall out as dust... well you get the picture.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #43  
The shaft doesn't touch the shield except for the nylon bearings on each end. They have grease nipples as well, although I think they are often overlooked and not greased.

Really? on my Kubota? of course ,yes the tabs broke off after a year but I've always had the chains attached.
I never knew there were lube points in there but yeah it has to be riding on top of something.
If no fitting, spray with silicone?

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #44  
Really? on my Kubota? of course ,yes the tabs broke off after a year but I've always had the chains attached.
I never knew there were lube points in there but yeah it has to be riding on top of something.
If no fitting, spray with silicone?

I have never seen one without a plastic grease "nipple". But Fluid Film would be a good alternative if you can't grease.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #46  
The functional and in place plastic shield is the reason the pto shaft on my brush hog has not been greased yet this summer... shame on me.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #48  
It seems that a lot of eyes are getting opened here. "OOPs! I didn't know you had to grease them!"

Hmmm. I would imagine if the nylon bearings were greased as well as the yokes that the plastic shields would have less drag on them being greased and all, and maybe less likely to pull so hard and break off the tabs from the chains? Just an idea. :D

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #49  
and if they wouldn't make the plastic tabs such a pita to deal with we would not break them and maybe might get our universal joints greased more often.
Now you have to take the whole thing apart. Nice way to get covered in grease from head to toe.
They should have inspection doors, or something.
If they make them so difficult to deal with, no wonder folks take them off...

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #50  
and if they wouldn't make the plastic tabs such a pita to deal with we would not break them and maybe might get our universal joints greased more often.
Now you have to take the whole thing apart. Nice way to get covered in grease from head to toe.
They should have inspection doors, or something.
If they make them so difficult to deal with, no wonder folks take them off...

I agree that the design and engineering of the things is not good. We need some smart engineer to rethink how to release the ends of the shaft covers to make easier access, or larger 'doors as you suggest or something. My Eurocardan really sucks to get the shield off. I have to look it up in the manual nearly every time. Theoretically you can service everything without taking them off, and you can, it is just not much fun.