Sad day in our neighborhood

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #71  
I have an absolutely firm - no exceptions - rule: I don't ever get off the tractor with the PTO engaged. Period.
Sometimes it's a PITA and would be easier to just leave it running. But the risk vs. reward ratio is out of whack. Just don't do it. . . . for any reason.
Yep. I also don't go within "tripping distance" of the PTO shaft or PTO powered implements with the engine running.

Aaron Z

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #72  
I have an absolutely firm - no exceptions - rule: I don't ever get off the tractor with the PTO engaged. Period.

Sometimes it's a PITA and would be easier to just leave it running. But the risk vs. reward ratio is out of whack. Just don't do it. . . . for any reason.

To bad. A wood chipper can be really handy.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #73  
I have an absolutely firm - no exceptions - rule: I don't ever get off the tractor with the PTO engaged. Period. Sometimes it's a PITA and would be easier to just leave it running. But the risk vs. reward ratio is out of whack. Just don't do it. . . . for any reason.

I agree, And although my seat switch is sensitive and sometime a pain when I move in the seat to try and get a view of something, I keep it intact.

No safety, know pain! Know safety, No pain! (At least most of the time)

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #74  
I have always tried to chain the shaft up and around the pin on the top of the attachment to keep the PTO shaft off the ground when not in use. That is generally how I have broken my plastic chain attach points to the shaft covers. I wish they were more durable, but oh well, I never get off the tractor with PTO running anyway.

When a chain tab breaks, I put a worm-drive hose clamp around the tube, with a wire loop under it to hold the chain. Much stronger.

Bruce

/ Sad day in our neighborhood
Here's an update on how my neighbor is doing.
He's in good spirits, however, the main artery in his left leg was pretty mangled up and it looks like it is not delivering blood to his lower leg. The doctors are saying he might loose this leg below the knee also.
Sure is a tough blow to all us in the neighborhood. Hope others can learn from this unfortunate accident. It does sound like some good has come from it here in this thread.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #76  
I hate those plastic shields. If I had an implement that required being off the tractor to use I would see the purpose in them, but the only PTO driven implements I have are a tiller, finish mower, bush hog, and sickle bar mower. On those implements the operator has absolutely no business being remotely close to the shaft. If you are close enough to the PTO shaft to get injured you stand a pretty good chance of getting injured by the blades especially on the tiller.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #77  
Here's an update on how my neighbor is doing. He's in good spirits, however, the main artery in his left leg was pretty mangled up and it looks like it is not delivering blood to his lower leg. The doctors are saying he might loose this leg below the knee also. Sure is a tough blow to all us in the neighborhood. Hope others can learn from this unfortunate accident. It does sound like some good has come from it here in this thread.

Long road ahead. Scary. Glad his spirits are high.