Sad day in our neighborhood

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #1  

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
While mowing his field my neighbor hit a fence post with his bush hog. He got down off his tractor to check things out. He got to close to the still engaged PTO and his pants got caught up in the PTO. Long story short his left leg is badly hurt and they had to amputate his right leg just below the knee. It was just by luck his wife happen to be in the garden at the time and heard his scream otherwise it could have turned out much worse. The doctors said his pants got twisted so tight on his legs it actually saved his life by cutting off the blood so he didn't bleed out. He is in good spirits but what a blow to the neighborhood.
Lesson learned; turn the PTO off unless there is a specific reason to leave it engaged while walking around it.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #2  
True. Most PTO shafts now have a plastic sleeve enclosing them to prevent that. At least the last 2 that I have bought have. Still safer to disengage if you intend getting off the tractor anyway.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #3  
Oh man, painful story to hear. especially since I do that all the time. Can't imagine ever being so close as to get caught up in the driveline.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #4  
When I was a kid maybe 13 or so my Dad and I were in the field bailing hay. Dad was an engineer on the rail road and was on call. My Mom came up to the field to tell Dad he was called to go to work. Mom walked up to the back of the tractor and stood on the draw bar to tell Dad about the call for work. I was on the wagon hooked to the bailer and saw it happen. Her dress got caught in the PTO shaft. Dad shut the tractor off when he saw what happened but the PTO tore her dress off and scraped her left leg up pretty bad. She was very lucky. That is some thing I will never forget. Be careful out ther guys and girls! It happens fast.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #5  
Scary stuff. I'm sorry.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #6  
Rotating machinery is scary stuff. He's lucky to be alive. At least he's in good spirits. Hope he recovers quickly.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #7  
Sorry to hear that -- I assume it was an older tractor? You sure can't even lift your butt out of the seat on a newer tractor without cutting off the PTO.

/ Sad day in our neighborhood #8  
This guy has learned his lesson about pants on a tractor: uploadfromtaptalk1466830728287.jpg