Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #11  
There is no mention of seat belts in the story. Even if tractor operator was wearing belt, based on the pictures, the impact force probably would have killed him. Also looks like the back window of the cab is broken so perhaps the hay baler was pushed up and into the cab?

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #12  
is it normal practice down there to drive tractors on divided high speed highways? Around here we can't do that.

Of course I wouldn't know the highway laws of your States... and it's very unlikely that the vast majority of you will be driving a tractor in my State.

However, except for the 'big smokes', Tassie is a very rural island and it is not unheard of for tractors to be on a 100kph 2-lane or the 4-lane (in sections) 110kph 'Midland Highway'. Townies might get ticked off with the delay but, by-&-large, people accept it.

I myself have driven a small distance (6 kms) on the 100kph 2-lane 'Tasman Highway' when shifting areas during haying season. The flashers and amber hazard light are on. My seatbelt is firmly fastened and I keep as far to the left as I can. If I do see vehicles behind me I'll either pull over if safe or wave them around me if the way ahead is clear.

Usually I'll get a friendly wave after they've passed.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #13  
In most Midwest states ag equipment has the right of way on all roads except Interstates. Overwhelmed duty allowed as long as you have a SMV plate. Of course claiming right of way is not worth getting killed. We cover over 2,000 acres of our own and rented land so time on roads is a given. I thought the baker would have given some crush space to lessen the blow at the tractor but obviously not enough.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #14  
Always scary to drive farm equipment on high speed roads but necessary at times.

Keep us posted Scoutmaster - with the results of the investigation.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #15  
There is no mention of seat belts in the story. Even if tractor operator was wearing belt, based on the pictures, the impact force probably would have killed him. Also looks like the back window of the cab is broken so perhaps the hay baler was pushed up and into the cab?

There is no doubt the operator's chances would have been better in the cab instead of being ejected and crushed by the baler, tractor or truck.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #16  
There is no doubt the operator's chances would have been better in the cab instead of being ejected and crushed by the baler, tractor or truck.

I agree it's better to wear a seat belt than not. My only point is that the story doesn't mention a seat belt.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #17  
Tractor operator was not wearing the seat belt and was ejected from the safety of the tractor cab. Tough luck pal.

Yup. From the look of the cab being so intact I would say he likely would have survived if not for being ejected. Something to think about when we have to take these things on the road. Also when going appreciably slower than the prevailing traffic it's always a good idea to follow the old fighter pilots saying," Check Your 6".
I learned all about that driving on the autobahn with an AAFES delivery van that wasn't allowed over 55MPH. All trucks over there are limited to 50 / 80 KPH. It gets pretty scary sometimes. You pull out to pass another slow moving truck then look up to see some guy swooping in on you at mach 3 with his brights flashing . I once had a guy do that probably at 150 +MPH in a hot rod BMW. He came up so fast it looked like one of those WW2 newsreel shots of a ME 109 boring in on a bomber at full bore in a dive. He went by so fast I couldn't even get a good look at the car. The pressure from his front spoiler hit the back of the van so hard it lurched slightly and sounded like he hit it with a sledge hammer. Swish bang and gone. It certainly helps you start checking your 6 a lot.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #18  
I am always amazed at how people fail to slow down when I'm mowing right next to the road.
I have lights and flashers on and still I am rocked by a huge blast of wind on my mower.
Like the road crew signs used to say
c'mon buddy give us a brake...

Some folks are very good about slowing down. Some for sure don't get it.
Just like some folks don't move over for emergency vehicles; clueless operators.

Driving just one day on the Autobahn educated me for life how much fun fast driving can be if one just
obeys basic traffic laws. Like keep right except to pass.

lot of very large ag equipment traveling up on Route 17 near Elizabeth City on up headed to Norfolk. Seems odd to meet a big piece of equipment hogging up most of two lanes on a 70mph divided highway. I slow way down but I see others just blast past.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #19  
Around here tractors are not allowed on high speed divided limited access highways. Although highway 17 west of Sault Ste Marie is somewhat of an exception.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #20  
Yup. From the look of the cab being so intact I would say he likely would have survived if not for being ejected. Something to think about when we have to take these things on the road. Also when going appreciably slower than the prevailing traffic it's always a good idea to follow the old fighter pilots saying," Check Your 6".
I learned all about that driving on the autobahn with an AAFES delivery van that wasn't allowed over 55MPH. All trucks over there are limited to 50 / 80 KPH. It gets pretty scary sometimes. You pull out to pass another slow moving truck then look up to see some guy swooping in on you at mach 3 with his brights flashing . I once had a guy do that probably at 150 +MPH in a hot rod BMW. He came up so fast it looked like one of those WW2 newsreel shots of a ME 109 boring in on a bomber at full bore in a dive. He went by so fast I couldn't even get a good look at the car. The pressure from his front spoiler hit the back of the van so hard it lurched slightly and sounded like he hit it with a sledge hammer. Swish bang and gone. It certainly helps you start checking your 6 a lot.

There is a reason that in Europe there are no drag type of wreckers - they are all carriers.