Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!!

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #1  

banjobj

Gold Member
Tractor
TC 21D
This may have been discussed before but I am having trouble getting a straight answer. What is the general rule to driving an unregistered tractor on public roads?

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #2  
Most states tractors don't have to registered. All you need is a slow moving vehicle sign in plain view and reflective at night.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #3  
Banjobj -

I asked the same question a while back, and after this lengthy discussion, my conclusion is pretty much what Richard said. The SMV placard is the main thing, plus the basic lights that probably came with your tractor.

HarvSig.gif

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #4  
Great thread Harv. My understanding of things here in New Hampshire is that the plates/registration afford you some liability protection (the real protection being a liability policy rider). Registration was cheap (well for my old Super-C, haven't registered the 'bota yet).

Given the fact that most of the folks in these parts are agriculturally challenged and many are poor drivers at best, it really does pay to cover your assets!

Andy in NH

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #5  
Seem like diferent states different rules,and I would check it out w/your DMV to make sure.

New Hampshire doesn't bother one much but do have rules.
Safety sign,plates and registration if not traveling more than half mile,must have a learners permit or a valid lic if operating on class road 1 thru 3 the last I knew.
Depending on the year of the tractor one doesn't need to add extra's for safety.
Oh its a matter of time before we will have to inspect the tractor..can see it coming..$$$. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Tractor safe and enjoy.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #6  
Hows the back doing,
and I hope your still taking it easy.

Have you had enough of winter yet. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!!
Harv, Thanks for the info. I thought this may have been discussed before and I guess I missed it!!!!!!
Ben

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #8  
I know this is twisting the subject a little, but I found this hilarious the other day....

I had to drive my 1720 about a mile down the highway where I live to till a garden spot for an elderly neighbor lady.
Well, I'm cruising along..... and ahead of me, out pulls a guy on a 3020 JD with a bale of hay speared on the back. I don't know if he didn't see me coming, didn't look my way or what, but he pulled out and was just putting along just above an idle it seemed and I had to PASS him. Now tractors on public roads are VERY common around here, but damn if that isn't the first time I've ever PASSED anything while driving my tractor down the highway. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #9  
Back is getting better- thanks! It will be a few weeks till I am up to full speed but at least I can walk straight. Chiropractors and masseuses are wonderfull people.

'Be real happy to see bare ground (at this rate by late April). We got rain in that last blast - suspect you got the heavy snow. This has all the makings of a serious mud season and I'm guessing that the "state bird" (black fly) will be less this year but the 'skeeters will make up for them.

Andy in NH

/ Laws on driving tractors on public roads!!!!!! #10  
In this neck of the woods tractors, combines and buggies are commonplace.
Last fall I was passed on my Kubota by an International with a disc cutter behind it. He lives down the street and hates an orange tractor. Should have seen him smiling when he passed me. That disc cutter was going airborne over the bumps. I let him go that day. About a month later he tried to pass me again but he was pulling a manure wagon---I put the Kubota in the wind that day and he had to let up because of an oncoming truck. So no clear winner that day.

It's also common to pass the Amish buggies, the elder folks will just let you go. But the young boys will put their horses in the wind and pass you right back if possible. One horsepower versus 40 horsepower at it's best./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

To the original question a SMV sign and drive on. But alot of tractors in this area don't even have that let alone lights.
Gordon