Let your mower chill for a few before putting it away

/ Let your mower chill for a few before putting it away #11  
I always blow my equipment off after use, wash when needed. Normally shut them down outside, blow with air compressor or leaf blower.
I've been doing this for 30+ years because i don't like the idea of having to get on a dirty piece of equipment, something i had to do back in my construction days.
I'm guilty of not shutting the Gator down outside & read a few horror stories on them, knock on wood nothing has happened with it.

Ronnie

/ Let your mower chill for a few before putting it away #12  
Excellent point. I've always driven my riding lawn mower into its carport stall "hot". This time of year a fire of this magnitude could certainly start a wildfire. We are already dry as popcorn around here. I'll definitely be changing my procedures on this.

/ Let your mower chill for a few before putting it away #13  
Warm or cool, the gas powered mower is never filled inside the garage. I keep the gasoline cans in an out building about 50 yards from the house.
When I was a kid (late '50's or early 60's), I had a mower catch fire when I was refueling. Once a lifetime was enough...

/ Let your mower chill for a few before putting it away #14  
Followed a guy through town a couple years ago. I kept saying smelling smoke.

Landscaper was in front of me with a brand new zero turn. Realized every time he started driving it was fanning some smoldering grass in his deck. Pulled up next to him and told him his mower was smoldering. He gave me the brush off and headed on down the road.

Passed the trailer on the side of the road later on with a burned out deck and mower :banghead: