Power line safety procedures

/ Power line safety procedures #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
This video might help a bit if out brush hogging you hit a guy wire and knock a power line down on your tractor.

/ Power line safety procedures #2  
That was interesting thanks. :thumbsup:

/ Power line safety procedures
Keep in mind that although telephone and cable TV lines do not normally carry lethal voltages, you do not know what damage was caused by your hitting of a power pole, or during storms. An energized power line may now be making contact with one of these normally non lethal cables and it may now be energized to lethal potentials.

Also for those of you that don't believe you can be shocked by the "ground", I will assure you that differences in ground potential can easily exist. You can see this in even fairly low voltage situations where for instance a direct burial 240 volt cable is buried in the ground and its insulation has failed. You can take readings with a voltmeter a couple of foot apart and often see a voltage difference in where the probes are stuck in the ground due to the flow of current flowing into the ground an all the way back to the equalization point. Now think in terms of if this voltage was at least 100 or more times greater, some lethal voltage gradients could be produced.

My point is, better not take a chance with downed power lines, and I think the video brought these issues to light.

/ Power line safety procedures #4  
Good video k0ua.

The same goes for a tree branch that is shorting out on a wire. The branch and sap will make it energize the ground around the tree.
The typical distribution line running to the transformer that supplies your house carries around 7,200 volts. Nothing to mess with.

/ Power line safety procedures #5  
That guy looked like a crack head.

/ Power line safety procedures #6  
I'd seen that video recently and thought it was interesting and informative.

We had a tree take down the 7K line feeding our little subdivision last week. It hit the hot line and pushed it down onto the neutral where they both burned through. Then it caught the phone line which held the weight.

I was speaking to the crew making repairs and mentioned the advice given in the video. The lineman said he wouldn't depend on hopping of shuffling working, but then added "I guess you've got to try something".

Staying in the car is best if possible of course.

/ Power line safety procedures #7  
The guy the hooked up the electric service to my house said he accidentally cut a 7,200 volt line with a chain trencher. He said it welded the chain to the bar.

/ Power line safety procedures #8  
Reminds of the time I was in Abbeville, LA at my parent's place, and during a thunderstorm we saw an oak tree touch against an overhead line. The tree would touch the line, the line would glow red hot and then the breaker would trip. The tree would pull away as the wind changed direction, then the touch the line again. Red hot glow, breaker trips, tree retreats. The happened about a dozen times. This was also a 7.2 KV line, I learned from the crew out fixing the problem. Dangerous stuff.

/ Power line safety procedures
The guy the hooked up the electric service to my house said he accidentally cut a 7,200 volt line with a chain trencher. He said it welded the chain to the bar.

I bet that was a pretty light show for just a little bit.