Round bales rolling down loader arms

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
A friend once told me about his dad lifting a round bale with an ancient dozer before ROPS. The dozer probably didn't have a seatbelt as well and that might have been what saved his dad. With the bucket curled too far, the bale rolled down the loader arms and over the seat, just after his dad ducked the bale.

I thought that it must have been a freak accident until hearing this story on National Public Radio today. (click the red circle)

Seven Stars Farm Organic Yogurt Founder On The Accident That Left Him Paralyzed | Here & Now

The exact same thing happened to him only he was buckled up and couldn't duck down far enough. Turns out, it used to be a pretty common accident. (It's also probably why most modern fork sets have the rear wall too.) He is an advocate of a four posted ROPS that extends forward of the operator for this type of work.

It's an uncomfortable account of what left him as a quadriplegic.

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #2  
About the only time it used to happen was with logs. Now it probably happens more with round bales on forks.

I've also heard that it was such a common accident in Australia that self-leveling loaders became required. Maybe someone in AU can say more about this story.

Bruce

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #3  
That's the reason that bale spears are much safer than forks or a bucket.

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #4  
It's a case of not using the proper tool for the job, or in this case the proper implement. Heck, there's even a WARNING decal on my FEL about a round bale rolling back out of a bucket.

My twin bale spikes attach to a large back-frame for added safety. I can swap out the spikes for a set of forklift tines on the same back-frame.

Ultimately, the 'accident' was waiting to happen as the bloke didn't secure the load.

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #5  
I came very close to having a "rolling log" situation with my previous tractor. Log was chained to the bucket, lifting log up to be ridge beam, chain came loose, a wild thought struck me like a lightning bolt and I exited - stage left. After I picked myself up and realized what could have happened - we quit using chain and started using heavy nylon strapping with those ratchet clamps. Still not the best way to go but, at least, the strapping kept things tight.

Now I use my grapple. I see most farmers around here use either bale spike or grapple on round bales.

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #6  
I moved a few around and quickly noted how easily it could happen. I ran right out and got a spear. $500 and far better than an insurance policy. If I had to do it with an old style or just a bucket I would definitely weld a couple uprights out on the arms.

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #7  
image.jpegimage.jpeg

One can also put a screen up behind the bucket and angled so nothing can roll back.

Note, after a warning from Beentheres the angle has been increased.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 184
   / Round bales rolling down loader arms #8  
That's the reason that bale spears are much safer than forks or a bucket.

I'm in the processs of putting a pair of spears on the bucket now. I looked up last week and a bale I had on the forks was dangerously close to rolling down the arms.

/ Round bales rolling down loader arms #9  
Egon,
Aren't you afraid you'll fall off driving upside down like that?:)

Last edited: