(1) Poison Ivy

(2) Poison Oak

(3) Virginia Creeper

(4) Texas Three Leaf Creeper

(5) None of the above

What do you think?

Plant Quiz_IMG_0519.JPG

/ Today's Plant Quiz #2  
I'm going with number 2 - poison oak. I've never seen it in person, only poison ivy in every form so far

/ Today's Plant Quiz #3  
It's not 1 or 3 (Virginia Creeper is five leaves) Looks like an Oak leaf... My guess, #2. Rub it all over your belly to check it out :confused3:

/ Today's Plant Quiz #4  
If that plant IS poison oak - its nothing like the stuff we have here. Our poison oak has leaves in groups of three, shiny and its a low to the ground growing plant. The leaves have smooth edges and are oval shaped. The leaves branch off a woody stem and grows to a maximum height of maybe two feet. Our poison oak is NOT a creeper or vine type plant.

/ Today's Plant Quiz #5  
Looks like poison oak to me. There's one way to find out!

/ Today's Plant Quiz #6  
I'd go with poison oak myself, seen it climb trees & choke the life out of them around these part's.

Ronnie

/ Today's Plant Quiz #7  
Not as familiar with poision oak, but it's clearly not poison ivy. PI's vines hug the tree trunks tightly. I have PI, virginia creeper, and wild grapes galore. The hugging of the vines to the trunk is the easiest and quickest way for me to tell.

/ Today's Plant Quiz #8  
   / Today's Plant Quiz #9  
Not as familiar with poision oak, but it's clearly not poison ivy. PI's vines hug the tree trunks tightly. I have PI, virginia creeper, and wild grapes galore. The hugging of the vines to the trunk is the easiest and quickest way for me to tell.

Same here.......Must be one of those "Texas" things.

/ Today's Plant Quiz #10  
Of the choices given, the only one I'm familiar with is Poison Oak. I'm going with it might, even probably, is Poison Oak. Around here it takes many forms, small bush, tall bush (up to 15') climbing vine (I've seen it 30' up in oak and pine trees), and creeping vine along the ground. It has various leaf forms (and color) depending on the type and age of the leaves. It's a real sneaky bugger. Almost impossible to spot after the leaves fall. In the spring it's sometimes hard to tell he young Poison Oak from young blackberries. That said, Poison Oak leaves are *generally* shiny, and the twisty tendrils look more like wild grape. Grape and Poison Oak can be hard to tell apart at times, also. I think I would treat it as Poison Oak until proved otherwise. That is, I would treat it with Round-Up. And no burning it. let it rot in place. I have been unable to find out how long the oils are active in a compost pile, but I know from experience that it's over a year. (I react rather violently, so I tend to be cautious around the stuff.) When living in the SF Bay Area I could swim in it and had no reaction. When I moved to the Foothills I gradually reacted worse and worse. to the point where once hospitalization was considered. I think the change started when I first started as a FF/PM up here, and responded to a vehicle accident where the car rolled through a large thicket of the stuff. Since I didn't react to it (I thought!), I charged right down to the car to render aid, coming out with a number of scratches from broken Poison Oak branches. I got a small amount of rash that time and it just got worse and worse with each exposure.Being a Firefighter, I was *very* concerned about smoke from burning Poison Oak, But the ambulance (and the water tender I operated when responding off-duty) generally got to park upwind of the fires, and I guess I was lucky.

Anyway, I vote for Poison Oak until proven otherwise.

After looking at the picture some more, it does look a lot like wild grape. If it forms clusters of fruit, it's grape. It's still uncertain, so I'd treat it with respect. Of course, you're in Texas, and I'm familiar with California growth, so who knows. :)

Last edited: