KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #1  

Retiredguy2

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4410
Someone recently moved into a rental house about 600' feet away from me and I have not met the family yet. While driving by yesterday evening I observed the fellow mowing his yard with a fair size lawn tractor (maybe 24 hp or so) while holding onto a kid about the age of 2-3 years of age sitting on his lap. So many times I have seen something identical to that and I wonder why anybody is so careless. Is it my place to walk down and introduce myself and kindly suggest the guy cease such behavior?

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #2  
Understand how you feel could end up being touchy.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #3  
Ive taken my kids on my lap on various tractors before BUT I'm not doing anything but driving for a ride. No mowing or implements in use.

Mowing while holding a child, imo, is poor judgement.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #4  
Here's my feelings about your situation.

If you say something like "maybe you should reconsider not having a young child with you mowing". He could take offense.

If you say something like "I have read and heard about kids getting hurt while mowing as you are, please be extra careful". Then you have done your part without telling him what to do. Either way you can't cure stupid. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #5  
Stuff like this is exactly why I dont live in the city where people can be so judgemental.

My daughter sits on my lap when I mow all the time. Been that way since she was 5 or so. We used to take tractor rides on grandpa's lap when I was a kid every time we would visit, sometimes he was even mowing. I guess I don't see what is so dangerous about doing so as long as the conditions are safe (flat lawn, smooth ground, slow speed, etc)

It's always interesting to see the different perspectives of city folk from country folks. What to one man is unacceptable bahvior/ child abuse is another mans quality time with kids/grandkids.

But that's ok. I also take the guards off my grinders and occasionally don't wear the proper PPE. You know, an all around outlaw.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I ended up antelope hunting with a guy from back East who could not understand why I didn't' wear my seatbelt when driving 2 track roads out in the middle of nowhere on a private ranch in Wyoming. He thought it was unsafe. To each their own.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #6  
If you do go over to meet them, dont exactly bring it up.. just causally mention something about hearing about a child falling and getting ran over by the tractor in conversation when the wife is around ;)

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #7  
Ask some cops, paramedics, firemen and hospital ER staff if extra riders on equipmemt is a good idea? Some people think they are too smart , too fast and too strong for the laws of physics to apply to them.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #8  
Had 2 families in our church hurt children on lawnmowers. One boy received a broken arm - a girl fell off the mower and was run over by her grandfather. Fortunately only her leg was damaged (still has a large chunk of skin missing). Just be careful out there - when we age are reflexes are not what they used to be.

To the OP point - you're probably going to get a big load of "Mind your own Business", sad but true

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #9  
We can all learn and try harder. Years ago near here a guys grandson got caught in a PTO shaft that was turning at the time .
Al

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #10  
Not a wise move, bet the kid (or the father for that matter) aren't wearing any kind of PPE, at least wear ear plugs and glasses..
I see a guy every week mowing with.... his wife sitting on the edge of the mower.

Not sure if he likes or or not!