Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
This post is about the apparently too challenging task of not being an idiot, even though in the end there was no accident.

On the property that my wife and I manage, we have a much abused poorly maintained tractor whose top link pin was lost long before we took over. Rather than buy a new one, lazy me just slides a long 3/8" bolt through the holes and holds the top link in place that way. At first, I used a nut, but the rattle rattled the nut off, so now, I just slide the bolt through without the nut. The rattle rattles the bolt out of the holes unless I reach back every now and then and slide it back into place. Note that as the bolt bends from the force of dragging, it slides out of place slower and slower.

Anyway, the other day, I hooked the 3-pt. harrow back up after doing some maintenance on the scarifiers and drove off to the riding arena. I made it around the ring a couple of times and reflexively (at this point) reached back to tap the bolt back into place. I discovered that I had placed the bolt in backwards, with the end rather than the head sticking out where my hand was.

So, what do I, being a safety conscious tractor operator, do? Do I shut the tractor down, dismount, walk behind, pull the bolt, reverse it, remount and restart? Nope! Do I shut the tractor down, twist around in my seat, pull the bolt, reverse it, untwist and restart? Nope!

Are you ready?

Here's what I did: I depressed the clutch, leaving the tractor IN GEAR (2nd gear, high!) and ignoring completely the throttle, which was set at about 1900 RPMs, and depressed the breaks. I then twisted myself into a pretzel in my seat so that I could use both hands to reverse the bolt, since when I pulled the bolt, the top link would drop. There I am twisted in a pretzel, but of course, the top link hook-up is below the back of the tractor seat. So, of course, I lean backwards over the seat, twisted like a pretzel, continuing to depress the clutch and the breaks with my tippy-toes while the tractor is IN GEAR (2nd gear, high!) and revving at 1900 RPMs! To make matters worse, just as I start to pull the bolt, I think to myself that it is highly unlikely that I could be doing a more idiotic thing. It registers as plain as day that I am fully conscious of the fact that if my clutch foot were to slip just as I pulled the bolt, the tractor would lurch foward and I would likely topple over the back of the seat, dropping the top link in the process, and find myself head down and being dragged to death, or near to it, while trapped between the sway arms. Do I listen to myself, stop what I am doing and follow one of the safer procedures detailed above? Nope! I pull the bolt with one hand while balancing the top link with two fingers of the other (I am twisted, stretched and leaning so badly that I can't get my whole hand around it), quickly reverse the bolt and slide it home.

And guess what? Just as I am untwisting, unstretching and unleaning, my clutch foot actually slips! I caught it before I lost the clutch pedal completely, but it definitely slipped. The idiocy and extreme danger of what I had just done hit me in the chest like a truck, even though I had been perfectly well aware of it while I was doing it. I hung my head for a minute, thanked my lucky stars, and then drove off and finished the job.

So, I make public my idiocy in the hopes that it will give some some pause. We generally know perfectly well when what we are doing is idiotic. Do not be an idiot like me; practice safe tractoring and listen to yourselves!

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #2  
I refer to those instances when I'm guilty of similar "lapses" as just another example of Operator Head Space and Timing ! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #3  
You are not alone in the arena of stupid or risky actions. There are more times than I want to remember when I have done just as you detail. Knowing full well that in a split second one could find themself in a world of hurt but we continue on thinking we can beat the odds, I call it
the invinceability factor.

I hope it is true that the older one gets the less likely we are to pull a stunt like this because the idea of being in pain from a slip is a deterent.

It would be a good thing if we all learned a lesson from this near miss. People who do not learn from history are destined to make the same mistakes.

Randy

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #4  
I had a strange experiance several days ago. I have had and do have a healthy respect, ok fear, of the PTO. I always shut the tractor off when connecting to it.

I hooked up the PTO pump(water pump) and had it running but it was squeaking a tad. The torque arm was rubbing on the PTO shield. So I grab a bungee out of the tool box and walk around to the back of the tractor PTO running and bungee in hand.

I bend down to look and see a good place to strap it. Didn't do anything just looking. Then it hit me WTF are you thinking??? I was shocked I even considered strapping that thing while running.

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #5  
Mundamanu

Think of it this way. You know how you can get yourself into the Darwin Awards should you so choose. Glad you're safe.

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #6  
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thats funny...Ill have to remember this one!!! OHSaT /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #7  
I was pulling an old set of stairs that had been replaced to a dump, with a subsoiler. It was working great until I passed the place I wanted to put it. So I began backing up. The subsoiler didn't push as well as it pulled and one of the rear wheels ran up on a 2x12 stringer. As it started tipping the tractor I thought this thing might roll over. I kept backing up, and sure enough it rolled over a quarter turn. The vertical exhaust pipe caught it there or it would have rolled merrily down the hill side squashing your's truly, the dummerest. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #8  
Glad your OK.

We all hear those warning signs from time to time. But for some reason we just fail to act on them.

Well, act on those little warnings.....

I know if I have second thoughts about something on my tractor, I will not have a third....

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Practice safe thinking

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #9  
The next time you do something like that remember this saying.

"The light bulb is on but nobody's home"

The picture wouldn't have been too nice to see if you flipped over the back.

/ Apparently, Not Being an Idiot is Too Challenging #10  
It has been said that God protects drunks and fools. In my younger years I was double protected on many occasions /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I don't know about the rest of the board, but I can definitely say that becoming a dad changed how cautious I am about lots of things. The idea of failing my paternal responsibilities because of laziness/absentmindeness/bravado definitely serves as a good "light bulb" for me.

I am in no way pointing fingers at anyone (talk about pot calling the kettle black), just gently suggesting that we all should have our own "light bulbs" and realize that no bolt/job/time frame is worth the potential loss our loved ones might experience.

Although I am certain somedays my CFO checks out my life insurance policy and would disagree with me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Safe and happy tractoring to all